Software Development and Integration Engineer
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Software Development and Integration Engineer in Madrid.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :)
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
As Software Development and Integration Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
As part of the services Serco provides for the European Space Agency at the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) in Madrid, we are looking for a Software Development and Integration Engineer to support the Science Operations Canters (SOCs) for high-energy astrophysics missions.
As Software Development and Integration Engineer, you will concentrate on the following activities:
- Development and maintenance of software applications for the SOCs.
- Continuous integration and testing through daily builds in Linux and macOS Operating Systems. Maintenance of these systems and of the software upload systems and code repositories.
- Detailed assessment of available Linux and macOS Operating System versions suitable for development and continuous building.
- Detailed assessment of all development tools (compilers, editors, source code revision control, integrated development environments, auxiliary libraries, auxiliary tools, etc) required to develop and build applications.
- Work to make the operational tasks and processing threads available to the public via an on-line data analysis system.
- Installation of operational applications and associated tools in the SOC workstations used by operators to perform day-to-day data processing.
- Technical support to the SOC Helpdesk.
- Technical support on feedback provided to users by SOC scientists at science conferences or data analysis workshops through, among other, data handling presentations and hands-on sessions.
- Production and maintenance of Web Pages and development web servers.
- Maintenance of a development environment within the SOC.
- Development and maintenance of data processing pipelines.
- Execution of scientific pipelines and control of the quality of the products generated.
- Support the creation of legacy archives.
The successful candidate should have:
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in physics and/or computer science, or related field, with background in a scientific discipline, preferably astronomy or physics, and standard numerical methods and techniques being desirable.
- Relevant professional experience in software development.
- Ability to understand and to perform integration of large and complex software systems.
- Knowledge of modern programming languages, including at least C, C++, Fortran 90/95, Perl and Python.
- Experience with Unix, mainly Linux, and macOS operating systems.
- Extensive knowledge on GNU Software Development Tools, e.g., GNU C/C++/Fortran compilers, Make, Autoconf, libtool, etc.
- Techniques on distributed processing, Clusters/Grids, Virtual machines, Dockers.
- Experience with programming tools and libraries, e.g., Qt, ds9, cfitsio, PGPLOT, Grace, Astropy, Numpy, Matplotlib, etc.
- Knowledge of TeX, LaTeX, cvs, git
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, flexible and able to work as members of interdisciplinary teams.
- Fluent in English.
The following skills and knowledge will be desirable:
- Commonly used astronomical software, like IDL, and of X-ray astronomical data analysis software in particular, with preference to the XMM-Newton SAS and Heasoft, including XSPEC and FTOOLs, would be an asset.
- Master degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Electronic
- Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies