Senior Spacecraft Operations Engineer
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Senior Spacecraft Operations Engineer in Darmstadt.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
We are looking for two experienced and talented Systems Engineers to join our Copernicus SOE team. The position offers the unique opportunity to support the ramp-up of the new CO2M satellite mission. The nature of the tasks will encompass both operations preparation during the ramp-up phase before moving into operational support once the mission is live.
The two positions have the following focus areas:
- Focus on Data Handling Systems (DHS) and on-board software maintenance. We are looking for candidates with direct experience on these systems as well as strong experience in developing tools in Python.
- Focus on Payload/Instrument operations. We are looking for candidates with a background in payload operations, but experience with Platform/AOCS is considered an advantage.
Within these focus areas, the main activities of the service comprise:
- Requirements analysis and concept development;
- Mission operations data production;
- Mission operations data validation;
- Operations team’s build‐ up and training;
- Operational validation;
- Operational configuration management;
- Operations execution (support to LEOP, commissioning, handover and routine phase operations).
- Prepare for, and execute all relevant Copernicus Sentinel routine operations in a SCOS2000 environment, as well as preparing for the recurrent satellite handover activities;
- Perform the maintenance, validation and documentation of the space segment assets update;
- Interface with all other flight operations teams such as the MCS, mission planning, FDF, but also with external operational entities or services;
- Operate all satellite and FOS/PDGS/PDAB components aspects related to operations engineering for the platform, payload and instrument, including data handling, instrument parameter, OBSW maintenance, as well as FDIR and OPS security aspects;
- Plan and schedule the satellite operations in coordination with the others teams;
- Continuous monitoring of Spacecraft performance and status;
- Participate to anomaly investigation and resolution;
- Reporting and analysis of the satellite system performance;
- Proficiency training of the Engineers using the space and ground segment simulators;
- Ensure the on-call operations engineer rota in routine operations, such that safe and efficient operations are ensured by the Spacecraft Operations Team on a 24/7 basis.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Extensive experience with Data Handling Systems, on-board software maintenance and Python development OR extensive experience with payload operations (Platform experience considered an advantage);
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Spacecraft Operations - preferably on Low Earth Orbit (LEO) spacecraft - with focus on Spacecraft System Operations, and responsibility for one or more platform subsystems (DHS, PDHT, EQPT) and one or more payload during operational validation, commissioning or routine operations phases;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of Spacecraft Operations Preparation preferably on Low Earth Orbit (LEO), with responsibility on development and validation of operational baseline (procedures, database etc.) including validation tools (e.g. S/C simulator) and ground segment M&C facilities;
- Experience in satellite performance monitoring and reporting aspects including anomaly analysis and solving in liaison with satellite industry, procedure change control and configuration management processes;
- Experience in the operation or development of satellite ground segment facilities, in particular procedure development, monitor and control, mission planning, on-board software management, performance analysis, configuration management and simulator facilities;
- Good knowledge of SCOS-2000 mission control systems;
- In depth knowledge of relevant Standards and Protocols (CCSDS and ECSS);
- Familiarity with File Based Operations;
- Familiarity with MOIS and Flight Control Procedure generation in general
- Programming/Scripting skills with languages such as Python, Matlab, SQL/MYSQL;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as good communication skills;
- Fluency in English.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work. We are a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Serco provides the User Helpdesk and Data Centre Operations Service of the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT), which plays a key role in enhancing the use of EUMETSAT data, products and data services.
The main objective of the service is to ensure effective and user-driven service to support the provision of data, both real-time and offline, as well as to provide comprehensive technical information to support all forms of user enquiries relating both to current operational services and to future satellite programmes of EUMETSAT.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For more information on how the personal data in your application is process, please see the link Data Protection policy here.
Serco European Agencies