Network Support Engineer
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Network Support Engineer in Darmstadt.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), Darmstadt, Germany, tracks and controls European spacecraft, and develops and manages ground systems. As Europe’s centre of excellence for satellite operations, ESOC is home to the engineering teams that control spacecraft in orbit and build the systems on the ground that support missions in space.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
The position is related to the maintenance and operation of an operational communications infrastructure involving a network of 1,200 servers and clients.
As Network Support Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
1. LAN support of the on-site local area network/ground stations.
2. WAN support of the wide area network connecting to sites all over the world via leased and dial up lines.
3. Network services, security services (Firewalls/IDS), voice services, and Network Timing Protocol support.
- Provide 2nd line support for all elements in the ESA Operational Network.
- Use the electronic trouble ticket system to record all detected faults and change requests, recording all events leading to resolution within the targets defined in the Service Level Agreements.
- Liaise with 1st and 3rd line support groups in speedy resolution of incidents and problems.
- Organise and carry out routine installation of equipment into all areas to a standard to ensure target reliability is met.
- Perform preventative maintenance in accordance with procedures.
- Perform patching in wiring centres and user areas to provide end user connectivity.
- Provide cross support in a constructive manner to other parties in support of WAN and/or LAN incidents/problems.
- Provide extended cover automatically when critical faults remain open at the end of the day.
- Produce punctually and accurate reports and statistics on all activities.
- Create and maintain Knowledge and Configuration Databases of the whole of ESA’s Operational communications infrastructure.
- Administer and keep up to date the IP address database for subnets using QIP DNS and/or other tools.
- Provide the 1st line support team with operational procedures, handover documentation and training for new/or enhanced systems.
- Work closely with engineering to familiarise the team with new systems, ensure adequate handover, sparing, training and documentation to both 1st and 2nd line.
- Ensure outages are minimised by system implementation standards, sparing and procedures.
- Actively participate in recommending technical and procedural improvements to the benefit of the service.
- Preparation, support and implementation of planned and scheduled changes.
- Ensuring service interruptions are minimised during planned activities.
- Adhere to current site procedures (technical, environmental, safety and security).
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Proven experience of systems, routine and contingency procedures within a large multi-platform communications environment, particularly using Cisco routing and switching equipment and firewalls.
- Current LAN and Routing technologies & protocols (STP, HSRP, OSPF, BGP, VRFs).
- Firewall/IDS technologies. (Cisco ASA).
- Current Cisco Enterprise Switches and Routers, Network Sniffers (Wireshark). Cisco Prime, Ciso LMS, QIP DNS, Cisco CSM, HP NNMi.
- Experience with Cisco ACI would be an advantage.
- Organisational and time management, report writing, and strong service ethic.
- Strong interpersonal skills, self-motivation and the ability to work in a team are very important.
- Good analytical skills and incident resolution skills.
- Knowledge of IT Service Management processes and good practice (such as ITIL), in particular in the areas of incident, problem and change management.
- PC literacy: MS Professional Office Products, Visio, Lotus Note.
- Very good command of English with proven drafting ability, knowledge of German a plus.
- CISCO CCNA required, CCNP is an advantage.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies