Mechanical Project Engineer
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Mechanical Project Engineer in Noordwijk.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :)
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
The EFM Project & Infrastructure Development Section is responsible for the development of the ESTEC site general infrastructure consisting of 150.000 sqm of buildings and technical facilities including offices, laboratories with several cleanrooms, technical areas such as central productions of hot & chilled water, power plants with diesel generators, water treatment roads, water and sewage networks. ESTEC applies Dutch national health & safety legislation. The incumbent will report to the Head of the Project & Infrastructure Development Section. The core tasks of the Mechanical Project Engineer will consist in the following activities:
- The management of multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects and the review, coordination, quality control and acceptance of projects or investment activities related to the construction, renovation, modification or development of the mechanical system installations; the management tasks include amongst others:
- the preparation of work descriptions, technical specifications, project budgetary & time planning estimates or any other technical documents necessary for the preparation and execution of the activities,
- the identification and implementation of best practices and of innovative and creative techniques in the mechanical engineering domain, that notably contribute to ESA's commitment to reduce its energy consumption and C02 footprint
- the preparation and maintenance of project plans,
- the compliance with project management and coordination procedures, quality insurance procedures, quality management system procedures,
- the preparation and follow-up of the procurement of external services required in the projects (e.g. external consultants, engineering companies, execution companies,…),
- the control and follow-up of the contracted companies’ activities in the preparation, development and execution of projects (e.g. check of the performance in view of the project schedule, costing & quality of the works),
- the organisation of coordination meetings between the team members and project stakeholders and/or of Project Board meetings,
- the management of communication and information actions related to the project activities,
- the review and validation of mechanical engineering, execution and as-built documentation,
- the monitoring and control of the compliance with the applicable norms, legislations, technical stipulations and requirements of the works carried out on the mechanical infrastructure,
- the follow-up, control and organisation of the commissioning and acceptance of the activities.
- The provision of assistance to other projects (comprising mechanical activities) when needed: the Mechanical Project Engineer will provide support during the design and engineering process (for example by reviewing the engineering documentation such as detailed engineering packages, implementation drawings, shop drawings,…) and during the execution process until the final acceptance of the works (for example by coordinating the actions & tasks related to the mechanical infrastructure domain).
- The provision of ad-hoc consultative support to the Infrastructure Operation Section and its members for the review, management, quality control and acceptance of all mechanical works (including preventive and corrective maintenance works and repairs) on the built environment in order to ensure a comfortable and environmentally sound operation.
Applicants for this post should have:
- 4 years of professional experience in the Mechanical Engineering domain and a proven capability in the above areas of responsibility;
- Good knowledge of the applicable norms and legislation
- Sound analytical skills;to analyze any situation, issue or installation and create a clear and detailed technical report for root cause analysis, improvement or repair;
- Good skills in the MS Office software package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio);
- Moreover applicants should be able to work autonomously and be eager to learn and acquire further knowledge in building systems engineering.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these two languages is required. Knowledge of another member state language or of a language used within ESA’s environment is an advantage.
- Master degree in Mechanical Engineering;
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies