IT Support Technician
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a IT Support Technician in Darmstadt.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), Darmstadt, Germany, tracks and controls European spacecraft, and develops and manages ground systems. As Europe’s centre of excellence for satellite operations, ESOC is home to the engineering teams that control spacecraft in orbit and build the systems on the ground that support missions in space.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
For our activities at the European Space Operations Centre, we are currently seeking to employ a highly motivated and enthusiastic IT Support Technician to work in an exciting innovative international environment.
The role will be part of a Network Operations Centre (NOC) tasked with coordinating, configuring and monitoring activities related to the ESA ground segment, specifically the Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) stations of the ESTRACK ground station network.
The NOC is responsible for providing 1st and 2nd line support to the ESA space missions and its users.
It provides Ground Operations, Operational IT and Operational Control Centre services and acts as single point of contact for real-time service requests from ESTRACK customers.
The Operational Control Centre team looks after the operational IT hardware, the local data centres and wiring centres as well as the operational control rooms on site.
The main tasks of the IT Support Technician are:
• Hardware installations;
• Hardware maintenance and support;
• Electrical safety testing;
• Cable installation, testing and patching;
• Spare part management and communication with vendors;
• Shipping and handling of equipment deliveries;
• Configuration management;
• Preventive maintenance;
• Reporting and review of procedures;
• Ticket handling (Incidents, Service Requests and RfCs);
• Basic administration of UNIX and Windows systems;
• Administration / configuration of various applications;
• Support of LEOP (launch and early orbit phase) activities (including occasional shift work);
• Support of refurbishment projects / engineering activities.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
You need to have a solid background in IT/operational support.
We are looking for a generalist with well-rounded experience in operational IT environments and a passion for technology.
Flexibility and the willingness to learn and to work on continually improving the service is a must.
You will possess the following qualities:
- Excellent knowledge of common data centre infrastructures, including wiring concepts, cooling and power distribution;
- Excellent knowledge of common IT hardware (server, racks, network devices) and wiring technologies;
- Excellent experience in trouble shooting and fault analysis;
- Good understanding of common networking concepts, components and protocols;
- Good knowledge of basic system administration on UNIX and Windows platforms;
- Fluent in English, both in speech and writing;
- Self-starter, able to work independently with little or no supervision;
- Team-player, able to interface with technical and management personnel;
- Well-organised, able to prioritise and manage several tasks in parallel;
- Service mentality and solid understanding of a KPI driven service environment;
- Able to lift equipment up to 25 Kg;
- Able to work on shifts occasionally;
- PC literacy: MS Office Products, Lotus Notes;
- Experience in Voice Communication Systems is a plus.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work. We are a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Serco is responsible for the Network Operations Centre (NOC) services at the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC).The Network Operations Centre provides the 24h/7 remote operations services of the ESTRACK ground station network. As part of this service, Serco provides the first line Operations Control Centre (OCC) maintenance and operations services at ESOC.
We manage the Operational Computer and Communications Infrastructure and ESTRACK ground stations for the European Space Agency at European Space Operations Centre (ESOC). This infrastructure supports operational and support systems including Ground stations, Mission Control, Flight Dynamics, Simulators, Mission analysis, general support, Firewalls, Network and systems management facilities and Operational communications network for data and voice services
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For more information on how the personal data in your application is process, please see the link Data Protection policy here.
Serco European Agencies