Ground Stations Operations Engineer
Are you fascinated about Space? Do you have a real-time spacecraft operations environment background and have worked with the routine operations of large and complex ground stations? You could be our new Ground Stations Operations Engineer. Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
As Ground Stations Operations Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- Participation in any necessary meetings, anomaly review boards, other system and facility ARBs as required, the ECP Review Board, Ops planning meetings and scheduling meetings and team coordination meetings;
- Coordinating the service with other Service Providers in EUMETSAT;
- Preparation of technical notes on subjects related to Ground Stations operations and evolutions;
- For operational procedure (SCPs, GCPs, Ops Guide) development and maintenance:
- Ensure that all aspects of EPS Ground station operations are correctly reflected in the EPS procedure sets and the EPS Ground Stations Operations Guide;
- Maintenance of the Operational Ground Databases;
- Definition and implementation of validation tests as necessary for updates to any procedures for which the Consultant is assigned as book captain;
Additionally, the successful candidate will coordinate Ground Stations operations, maintenance upgrade and anomaly investigation activities with relevant team members and external contractors; also, provide inputs and contribute to the analysts to ensure that the controllers are trained in the relevant aspects of ground station operations (and when necessary provide direct training).
You will support your team by providing expertise for the analysis and design of the obsolescence upgrade of the ground Stations and co-ordinate the deployment and validation from the operations side; providing expertise for all stages of systems and software upgrades, in coordination with other teams.
As a part of your tasks will also be provision of expertise to the on-site periodic maintenance at Svalbard as required and maintenance of System-level documents.
You will provide On-Call service as Ground Stations Operations engineer if needed (not expected in this Work Package); participate in G/S Teams activities, roles and interfaces definition; provide backup to the Ground Stations Operations (GEO) Engineer as required and also, review documentation and provide inputs to future projects such as EPS-SG, MTG, JCS, Metop A EOL plan, CDA future operational scenarios analysis.
Among other tasks are the following:
- Further analysis of the autotrack capabilities of the CDAs following the ACU upgrades and informing other teams within EUMETSAT of the results;
- Review of and updates to EPS-SG documentation (concentrating on ground station operational aspects);
- Define and maintain operational documentation for EPS-SG (ROP, OICDs, OPS Guides, OPS Procedures, OSV, etc.);
- Participation in EPS-SG reviews and test campaigns as required;
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- At least eight years’ experience in a real-time spacecraft operations environment;
- At least eight years’ experience in the routine operations of large and complex ground stations – preferably in an earth observation environment;
- Experience of the preparation and use of operational procedures, databases, displays and documentation.
Experience of the following would be an advantage:
- Experience in the operations preparation and routine operations of Geostationary (‘GEO’) and/or Low Earth Orbit (‘LEO’) satellite systems;
- Experience of document management and configuration control processes;
- Experience of development and upgrades within a 24/7 operations environment;
- Experience in defining user interfaces for operations (HMI, reports, etc.);
- Experience in the configuration and/or use of Space Link Extension (SLE);
- Experience in the use of Dataminer.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
• Company events
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries. In Europe, Serco supports governments and international organisations in the delivery of essential public services with operations in Belgium, France and French Guyana, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service and to keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play. We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers.
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
If you share our values and want to join a team of over 50,000 passionate colleagues globally we want to hear from you.
Make a difference every day.
Take pride in what you do!
Serco European Agencies