System Operations Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a System Operations Engineer based at EUMETSAT.
The activities of the post holder will cover Operation Preparation tasks focusing on the development of EPS-SG (Second Generation) System Operations. The support will include general operation preparation aspects but will focus on the end to end system operations.
The main objective of the ops preparation activities is to deliver a system ready for routine operations together with a qualified operations team. The OPIT is responsible for the production, the deployment and the execution of EPS-SG operations from phase B up to phase E3 which includes the System In-Orbit Validation (SIOV) and commissioning activities. Operations preparations activities will be coordinated with the LEOP Service Provider.
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Responsible for the definition of the overall Operations Validation Plan (OVP).
- Implement and coordinate the OVP for the validation of the operational scenarios and support the SIM Officer during the simulation campaigns.
- Coordinate with IV&V team to deliver as necessary validated operational scenarios for V&V test cases.
- Be responsible for the definition of system operation documentation for both nominal and contingency operations (System Ops Guides) in close coordination with OPS department.
- Develop and validate the end to end System Operation Procedures and Timelines for routine and contingency operations in coordination with satellite and system operations engineers.
- Coordinate with OPS team leaders to ensure compliance with existing OPS workflows and processes as per Operations Management Plan (OMP).
- In coordination with OPS teams, contribute to the Reference Operations Plan and ensure coherency with mission concepts.
- Ensure focal point of contact in OPIT for coordination with V&V team.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the key person shall have a demonstrated experience of at least five years in the field of Spacecraft Operations with specific experience as follows:
- Good system knowledge of the main functional elements of a ground system which are used for the monitoring and control of a satellite.
- Spacecraft monitor and control operations on SCOS based system.
- Experience in definition, development and validation of operations for the development of satellite ground segment facilities such as monitor and control, mission planning, on-board software management, ground stations monitoring.
- Relevant experience on configuration management of operational systems.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar key role for the validation and readiness status of specific operation preparation phases such as SSVT, validation campaigns or rehearsals.
- Operation Procedures development life cycle and Operation Preparation environment and configuration management for operational systems.
- Specification of system and operational concepts, facility requirements and external operational interfaces management.
Furthermore, it would be a distinct advantage for the key person to have experience with some of the following:
- In-orbit System operations of Low Earth Orbit Earth Observation satellites.
- Specific Operational phases such as LEOP, SIOV, and Commissioning phases.
- Configuration management of operation baseline components on operational systems.
- System development life cycle, phases, reviews and deliverables.
The key person shall possess the following soft skills:
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills and be confident to deal with a wide variety of people.
- Good interpersonal skills to coordinate with team leaders and key stakeholders as well as in cooperation with industry and partner agencies.
- Perform effectively under high workloads and be able to adapt to a rapidly-changing time-critical environment.
- Able to commit to the plan and deliver the expected results on time or to report proactively if any deviations are foreseen.
- Fluency in English (the working language at EUMETSAT is English.). Knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies