Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Spacecraft Controller based at ESOC, Darmstadt,Germany.
This position may include, among others, the following tasks:
- Operate on a 24/7 shift basis all or part of the mission control system, which may include parts of the ground segment as well as the space segment, as specified for each mission;
- Depending on the mission assignment, during the pre-launch phase assist in configuring and testing the operational system to support the operations. The successful candidate may be required to develop methods or tools to assist in the execution of the operations;
- Depending on the mission assignment, On-console involvement in Mission Readiness Tests, System Validation Tests, simulations and Launch and Early Orbits Phase operations authorised by the Spacecraft Operations Manager, following established rules and procedures;
- In case of ground or space segment anomaly take corrective action as necessary, applying the contingency / emergency procedures approved for the mission to ensure spacecraft safety and the continuity of service provision to users;
- Immediately inform the Spacecraft Operations Manager and / or his / her official deputy when a major or critical anomaly is detected, in accordance with the established procedures;
- Participate to other operations-related activities (small system development, procedures development or maintenance etc.) upon request of the Team Leader;
- Depending on the assignment, perform any of the above-mentioned tasks either as a Shift SpaCon or as a Back-up SpaCon, i.e. continuously training on more than one mission to be ready to replace any of the other Team Members at short notice, if need be.
The successful applicants should have a solid technical background and a degree at BSc level (MSc would be preferred) in a related subject such as Aerospace Engineering, Telecommunications, Physics etc.. and a passion for satellite missions or space activities in general. Experience working with computer systems and PC literacy is required.
Candidates should be ordered, disciplined and have an efficient thinking mind as the appointed person should feel comfortable in a strictly procedure-driven working environment.
Due to the operational nature of the job, candidates shall be able to work in a calm and correct manner under conditions of stress and in almost full autonomy (e.g. during night shifts).
As the successful candidate could be part of a small Ops Team working on a 24/7 shift rotation pattern, team spirit is also essential to adapt to the sometimes unavoidable short-term changes to the shift plan resulting from sickness or other exceptional circumstance, with the purpose of avoiding any service disruption and ensuring the satellite health.
As official, recorded voice communications via voice loop between stations / centres is part of the job, fluency in English is mandatory.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies