Space Debris Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Space Debris Engineer based at ESOC.
If you are passionate about Space Debris activities this role is exactly for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you!
The successful candidate will be responsible for the support, analysis, development and research activities of the ESA Space Debris Office. The followings are the key tasks:
- Support mission customers for the compliance verification analysis task
- Contribute to mission milestone reviews for compliance aspects w.r.t. mitigation guidelines
- Perform, in support of missions, runs with DRAMA, Scarab and Snappshot and document the results
- Follow-up external research, as well as internal Research Fellow and NPI activities and plan/adapt internal work accordingly
- Support CDF sessions
- Support the definition of the studies for GSTP and other ESA study programs in the area of space debris.
- Provide Training on OPS-SD software and processes to internal and external trainees also in training sessions not organised by ESA
- Routine operation of ESA’s conjunction event prediction system for internal and external customers (apart from Copernicus missions)
- Detailed analysis and consultancy in the case of a high-risk conjunction event in liaison with the Flight Control Teams, external customers and Flight Dynamics
- Contributions to the Maintenance, evolution and upgrade of ESA’s conjunction event prediction system and documentation
- Contributions to the evolution and Upgrade of ESA’s DISCOS database system and systems based thereon
- Contribute the ESA’s re-entry forecasting process
- Standby for project support in the areas of Cleanspace and SSA, and the upcoming Space Safety Programme
- Support to the interfacing with external entities, such as CSpOC for the analysis of conjunction events
- Participate to the offices regular monthly infrastructure coordination meetings
- Participate to the office’s monthly routine meeting
- Present and promote ESA achievements recent research and work performed at the space debris office at international conferences (once per year), and support related public relation or outreach activities
- Support the organisation of conferences and workshops, and run space debris office demonstration towards VIP tours in the space debris facility
- Provision of technical expertise to the ESA Technical Responsible in responding to TV, broadcast and newspaper interview requests on space debris
- Ensuring a seamless operation of the software systems in routine processes, retrieval of the necessary data
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
- University degree in a relevant engineering field, astronomy, mathematics or physics
- Skills to apply the knowledge to develop solutions to technical (mathematical and dynamical) problems
- Ability to define, implement, validate and operate software using e.g. Unix and/or Linux scripting languages, Fortran 77 and/or 95, C++
- A high degree of independence
- Understand the way the CDF, IADC and SSA/Space Safety Program works
- Negotiation skills
- Coordinate Systems and Reference Frames
- Space Debris Matters (observation, modelling, mitigation, risk assessment)
- Space surveillance techniques and principles
- Re-entry aerothermodynamics principles and tools
- Public Relations and Media Interviews
- Versioning systems and configuration management
- Database systems, in particular the use of SQL in postgreSQL
- Basic understanding of the hardware (PCs, RAID, back up mechanisms …)
- On-call support in line with the technical requirements.
- Fluency in English, both in speech and writing
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with interplanetary satellite orbital mechanics
- Experience dealing with external interfaces
- Experience with Oracle/Solaris and/or Linux, network services and protocols, and system administration
- The ability to multi-task efficiently; working on multiple activities, multiple subsystems and if applicable multiple missions simultaneously
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies