RT-S/SCI-OP/00172 - Technical IT Systems Engineer Support
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Technical IT System Engineer Support, based in Avila (Spain).
Specific tasks include:
UNIX (LINUX and SOLARIS), Macintosh and PC System management:
- Installation, configuration, integration and setting up of new machines with appropriate operating systems and layered software
- Administration and operation management of computer systems
- System security management
- System upgrades, both hardware and operating system.
- User support (mainly scientists and engineers)
- Handle the mail aliases and mail distribution lists.
- Handling/checking/modifying all backups.
- Definition, implementation and maintenance of IT operational procedures
- Issues of documentation and technical reports
GRID related activities:
- Installation, configuration, integration, operations, maintenance and upgrade of Grid Engine
- Support users to adapt their computing tasks to the Grid infrastructure
Cloud related activities:
- Installation, configuration, integration, operations, maintenance and upgrade of RedHat CloudForms middleware
- Knowledge of other Cloud middleware and hybrid Clouds is an asset
- Knowledge of Linux containers is an asset
Contact with hardware and software suppliers:
- Definition of hardware/software needs and quotation requests for new purchases and maintenance contracts
- Logging hardware incidents calls and following the call history.
- Assisting technician when on site.
- Installation and maintenance of storage SAN/NAS infrastructure
- Installation and maintenance of Virtual Machines
- Installation and maintenance of compute clusters
- Interface with external ESA corporate informatics infrastructure service providers
- Design of network setup requirements and follow up of implementation
- Request of new network connections.
The Ideal Candidate
Specific knowledge is required in the following areas:
- Container orchestration (e.g. kubernetes)
- Big data technologies (e.g. spark, hadoop)
- IT automation technologies (e.g. Ansible, StackStorm, Terraform)
- Grid technology (Grid Engine)
- Cloud computing
- Storage SAN/NAS technologies
- Solaris System management
- Linux (RedHat) system management
- Virtualization technologies
- Linux container technologies
- Backup technologies
- PC Windows and Macintosh system management
- Scientific user computer support
- Network design and requirements
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries In Belgium and Luxembourg we work closely with the European Institutions providing crucial Services with over 220 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies