RT-S/SCI-ODE/0166 Software Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer based at ESAC.
The position is offered as a fixed-term contract for the support period of 01/05/2019 to 30/06/2020.
The current Euclid Archive system does not support full data lineage, which is a key requirement on the Archive. It was the role of the Euclid Common Data Model (ECDM), which is developed across the SGS, to support such lineage. The service provider will support the SOC design and implementation of this system. This position is off-site such that the service can be provided in close coordination with the archive development team in Groningen.
Tasks specific to the Euclid SOC Development and Maintenance:
- Develop and maintain the Euclid data lineage framework for the Euclid Archive within the SOC software development environment
- Delivery of software to the configuration control system
- Support to definition of ICDs controlling the interface of the Euclid data lineage viewer to Euclid Archive System
Tasks specific to validation and operation of the Euclid SOC system:
- Test and validate new deliveries of software, including regression testing
- Report on progress and problem areas
- Participate in the Configuration Control Boards applicable to the development
Additionally, the ideal candidate should focus his/her activities on the following:
- Develop and maintain the Euclid quick look system within the SOC software development environment
- Develop and maintain the Euclid health monitoring system within the SOC software development environment
- Develop and maintain the additional tools to process auxiliary data within the SOC software development environment
- Delivery of software to the configuration control system
- Support to definition of ICDs controlling the interface of the quick look system to SOC-internal and -external systems
- Support to definition of ICDs controlling the interface of the health monitoring system to SOC-internal and -external systems
- Support to definition of ICDs controlling the interface of the services providing auxiliary data to SOC-internal and -external systems
- Communicate with operations team at ESAC and instrument experts in the Euclid Consortium
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate should bring a Master’s Degree in Engineering or PhD from a recognised institution of secondary studies (University,ecol supérieure,etc or equivalent, and minimum 4 years of the relevant experience.
Additionally, the Key Person requires:
- Software development and software engineering coding with experience with Python applications with good broad knowledge of Python.
- Astronomy archives and astronomical datasets.
- Handling common astronomical file formats e.g. FITS.
- Development and/or maintenance of complex ground segment systems.
- Software system architecture and development with specific experience in object oriented software design and development using version control systems.
- Software development processes and tools (configuration management, code generation, continuous integration, automated testing, metrics, coding styles and rules).
- Modelling technologies, methodologies, and IDE (UML).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies