RT-C/TIA-TF/00102 Future Programmes Officer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Future Programmes Officer based at ECSAT Harwell, UK).
Future Programmes Officer for the Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications in ECSAT to support activities of the Future Project division. These activities include the scouting of new industrial business partners interested in entering into partnership with ESA or benefiting from ESA support in initiating end-to-end satellite systems with high degree of innovations, both in terms of technologies, services and business models. The Key Person will be part of a team focused on Future Programmes Acquisition, aimed at initiating new development programmes in the areas of Satellite and 5G, new constellation of satellites and Artificial Intelligence applications to satellite systems. The Future Programmes Officer will have industrial experience in the design and development of satellite communication systems, and business development experience in relevant technology sectors. The Future Programmes Officer will be expected to travel regularly to industrial premises or technical and business events.
The successful candidate will focus his/her activities on the following tasks:
- Assessing the business environment evolution for satcom, terrestrial telecom and space and potential impact to the satcom key stakeholders.
- Identifying and justifying selected business partners to focus on (as a combination of demand/partner pull and techno/industry push) using key criteria of relevance and impact for industry competitiveness and introduction of innovation.
- Analysing opportunities with the selected business partners, in some of the focus areas identified in business exploration (5G, satellite constellations, artificial intelligence). The analysis must be based on structured action plans and result in justified roadmaps leading to further business consolidation actions.
- Assess business, technological and operational requirements of SatCom networks including 5G and beyond (space and ground segments) and their integration with terrestrial wired and wireless networks in an end-to-end system context, with the aim of attracting and acquiring new partners;
- Prepare action plans and development of roadmaps in close cooperation with relevant stakeholders (e.g. SatCom and terrestrial industry) in order to foster the use of innovative SatCom solutions including 5G;
- Promote the use of satellite in 5G and attract stakeholders to collaborate with ESA in implementing and demonstrating integrated end-to-end 5G systems and services.
- Promote the use of Artificial Intelligence in satellite systems and attract relevant stakeholders to collaborate with ESA in implementing and demonstrating AI based satcom systems.
- Monitoring and assessing the need and commercial potential for future satellite telecommunication missions and systems.
- Analysis, definition, initiation and management of industrial activities associated to new projects in the telecommunication satellite system domain.
- Definition of all the elements end-to-end associated to the mission/system architecture of new telecommunication satellite projects/systems.
- Perform trade-offs between different concepts/technologies to optimize the end-to-end system.
Due to the distributed and heterogeneous nature of the preparation of Future Projects, the ideal candidate will also be expected to communicate with the different groups involved in the preparation of new projects. This includes experts throughout ESA sites, manufacturing industry counterparts and satellite operators and service providers. To this extend, the successful candidate shall participate in working groups and meetings, such as:
- Preparatory working groups to identify/define new opportunities;
- Exploratory meetings with potential industrial companies and with prospective partners;
- Review meetings (preparatory phases: phase 0 and A).
The Ideal Candidate
The post holder shall have the following skills and experience:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or physics or equivalent qualification;
- Business or marketing degree (MBA or other relevant qualification);
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience in a combination of technical management and business development;
- Significant demonstrated industrial experience in satellite telecommunication systems or cellular telecommunication systems, or other relevant technical fields (e.g. AI);
- Significant demonstrated design, including substantial experience in satellite payload, platform or telecommunication end-to-end system engineering;
- Excellent organisation and communications skills;
- Technical excellence;
- Business development skills;
- Ability to interact at top management levels with potential new business partners;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to document their work and to produce high quality documents;
- Willingness to travel, when required;
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset.
Additionally, the successful candidate requires the following:
- Ability to obtain a personal security clearance might be required;
- It is expected that the support will be provided predominantly on-site at ECSAT (Harwell UK), an initial training period in ESTEC, Noordwijk (NL) of maximum 3 months might however be required;
- Regular travel for the purpose of supporting meetings and reviews (at Industry premises and to ESTEC in particular) shall be undertaken as required.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies