RT-C/TEC-SWF/00533 Software & Validation (On-Board & Ground) Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Software & Validation (On-Board & Ground) Engineer based at ESTEC.
Within the Flight Software Systems Section, support is provided to the Earth Observation projects (EOP) of the current and future ESA earth observation missions, e.g Sentinel1, Sentinel2, Sentinel3, EarthCare, MTG. Support is also provided to Science missions such as BepiColombo, Solar Orbiter, and JUICE.
This support includes monitoring and supporting the implementation, verification and validation of Flight Software.
The successful candidate will be assigned to the Flight Software Systems Section of the Software Systems Division and shall function as an integrated team member of the development team, in charge of the following (initial) tasks:
- General Support to Software Validation Facilities and Avionics Test Bench infrastructure activities.
- Emulators characterisation.
- Interface adaptations between SVF and Test Bench models.
- Adaptation and upgrade ATB EagleEye mission to Time and Space Partitions (TSP) and multicore configurations.
- Integration of TSP based system execution environment.
- Supporting integration of Multicore based system execution environment.
- Support dedicated projects SVF infrastructure development including processor simulator.
Additionally, he/she will cover the following tasks and activities:
- Development of Software Validation Facility components as well for the generic facilities as special project applications. This includes processor emulators, simulation of spacecraft systems and spacecraft dynamics.
- Tasks within design, test and validation of on-boards software.
- Task within customization of real-time operating systems for space applications.
- Tasks within maintenance and expert support within the software development tool-set.
- Tasks within system evaluation, testing and performance characterization of telecommunication systems as networking via satellite or network management.
- Design, implementation and testing tasks for the Section’s technology programme.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will a Master's degree or equivalent qualification in Electronic Engineering,
Space Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related discipline, and minimum 4 years of experience in the tasks similar to the ones described above.
The ideal candidate shall have in particular:
- Software engineering and object-oriented programming.
- Programming languages: C/C++ and/or others.
- Embedded Real Time Systems and Real Time Kernels.
- Unix based systems.
- Micro-processors such as SPARC LEON, ARM, multicore’s etc.
- Communication protocols (Mil-1553, SpaceWire, CAN).
- Software Engineering Standards such as the ECSS-E-ST-40C.
- Knowledge of Space Systems and Space System Engineering will be an asset.
- The successful candidate shall be able to function as part of a team. Because of the operational nature of the support, a proactive and flexible attitude will be required.
- Experience with operational software development will be an advantage.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies