Multi-Mission Dissemination Engineer
Serco Services GmbH part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Multi-Mission Dissemination Engineer based at EUMETSAT, Darmstadt, Germany.
As a member of a highly specialised operations service team the successful candidate shall perform tasks related to current and future dissemination operations and engineering for EUMETSAT missions, including Copernicus. The role consists of support to real time operations, contingency operations and reporting. Focus is mainly on, but not limited to Meteosat, Metop and other data service operations; Copernicus data service operations and for future missions the build up to operations, commissioning activities and then routine operations. The successful candidate can expect to be involved in all areas of operations engineering including for example:
- Scheduling and coordination of daily operations;
- Provision of support, as required, to contingency, critical and/or special operations;
- Contribute to the design, development, documentation and maintenance of specific tool/scripts identified from operational needs;
- EUMETCast configuration and administration;
- Anomaly handling and processing;
- Contribute to reviews and technical/operational/team meetings;
- Coordination and implementation of new data flows;
- Provide regular on-call support as part of the team on-call rotation plan;
- Create and deliver training material;
- Following processes and working practices;
- Contribute to the monitoring and reporting of the overall end-to-end mission performance of the EUMETSAT, Copernicus and third-party missions including gathering related statistics;
- Contribute to the generation, maintenance and update of dissemination operations related design, user documentation, procedures or operations guides,
- Interface with other teams and partners;
- Participate in the operational validation of dissemination related system upgrades and evolutions, both standalone and in the context of an overall ground segment;
- Configuration control activities;
- Support the analysis and resolution of user enquiries related to dissemination services, in particular but not limited to EUMETCast end users.
The successful candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
Knowledge and experience (all mandatory):
- Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written.
- University degree (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to the job profile
- Demonstrated experience in operations or software maintenance of real-time file based data dissemination systems;
Desirable knowledge and / or experience:
- Demonstrated experience in major Linux distributions, Unix and Windows (Windows 7, 8, 10) as user;
- Analysis skills, including analysis of real time events and logs;
- Configuration control tools and process (e.g. Subversion, CVS, eclipse);
- Be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, shall be able to work under pressure and with a minimum of supervision.
- Demonstrated experience in:
- system administration of a complex ground / space system in a high-availability environment (24/7);
- monitoring of near real time data flows in large computer networks;
- first and second level support in data services;
- trouble shooting in complex ground systems
- Basic system administrator skills, i.e. configuration, installation and scripting for Linux/Unix and Windows;
- Practical shell scripting;
- Encryption technologies;
- Good knowledge of the major network protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, etc.) unicast and multicast;
- Demonstrable understanding of network application protocols, mainly file transfer protocols:
- FTP(S), SSH, SFTP, HTTP(S) client and server;
- Python and/or Perl;
- Excellent document writing skills.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies