Legal Counsel Europe
Serco is a partner of choice to the European Institutions and other International Organisations. For the past 30 years, we have been providing European and International Organisations a wide range of services including ICT services in support, infrastructure, operations and development as well as managing different contact centres for the key European Institutions, agencies and organisations, in Brussels and across Europe.
What connects the ever-growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service –
To keep ahead, we have to evolve continually and enhance the way we deliver our services. Everyone in Serco has a role to play, here.
Serco provides the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel, to reinforce the team in our Brussels office!
You will provide and enable value add legal, regulatory, ethics & governance support which is aligned to the sustainable achievement of the Business Unit’s strategic priorities.
We look forward meeting you! Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity!
At Serco, we do not only offer a career but also the opportunity to join a community where everyone’s wellbeing matters, by living out the Serco values in all we do!
Are you looking to secure a career in a public sector environment? We would love to hear from you!
- Serve as a subject matter expert and business partner to the Business Unit by delivering proactive and high quality legal services throughout the business lifecycle.
- Business focused legal advice and guidance on complex and strategic commercial and contractual issues, negotiations, transactions and structures.
- Support bid teams on legal, contractual and risk aspects of bids including assurance of contract reviews, risk assessments and other legal and contractual aspects of bidding and advice and guidance on public procurement regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provide quality contracts support for the Business Unit’s bids and pursuit of new business and organic growth in accordance with Serco governance, policies and procedures including:
- contract reviews, interpretation and risk assessments;
- preparation of bid responses relating to the contract terms (including assumptions and dependencies);
- negotiation and dialogue with customers on Ts & Cs matters;
- key partner and subcontractor negotiations and documentation; and
- contractual aspects of transition and bid to contract handover.
- Effective management of material contract changes and preparation of related customer and subcontractor documentation and correspondence including:
- preparation of related customer and subcontractor correspondence;
- capturing appropriate flow downs;
- updates of contractual documents held on CMA;
- liaison with insurance and required risk/impact assessments; and
- ensuring appropriate and required governance of the change.
- Ensure bid teams and relevant governance forums have assessed and understood legal obligations and risks (inc change of law risk) and advise on development of compliance and mitigation plans, as appropriate
- Raising awareness of and assurance of compliance with applicable legal, regulatory and governance requirements (current and emerging) within the Business Unit including through design and delivery of training programmes.
- Work collaboratively with Commercial Contracts colleagues and other colleagues in the Business Unit in resolving key contractual issues with customers, partners, and key subcontractors and suppliers
- Work with colleagues to ensure appropriate and timely escalation/handover of unresolved disputes and other matters which require legal advice and expertise.
- Promote awareness and understanding of relevant legal, policy, regulatory, ethical risks and governance requirements within the Business Unit.
- Proactively identify changes and developments in relevant laws, regulations, government policies and guidance notes and work with colleagues to assess and manage their impact on the Business Unit.
- Legal instruction, oversight and guidance in relation to internal and external corporate investigations into matters arising within the Business Unit.
- Work collaboratively with the Legal & Commercial Contracts Director and UK&E Litigation Director to effectively and efficiently manage commercial, regulatory and employment litigation, disputes and claims and investigations arising within the Business Unit.
- Support the European Data Protection Officer in the management and oversight of the Business Unit GDPR programme;
- Support in the management of company files for the legal entities within the Business Unit, managing interface between Company Secretarial team and Business Unit colleagues;
- Provide support as directed by the UK&E General Counsel and Legal & Commercial Contracts Director to due diligence projects or acquisitions or divestments or other special projects relating to the Business Unit or wider UK&E Division.
In return, we offer a friendly, supportive and professional environment that respects your work/life balance and ultimately contributes to the delivery of public services in Belgium and around the world.
Essential technical and professional skills, knowledge and qualifications:
- Qualified lawyer with current practising certificate with in-house experience preferred.
- Good understanding of legal matters, legal management and complex contractual constructs.
- Experience of practising in a civil law jurisdiction preferred.
- Experience of procurement with International Institutions of the European Union.
- Deep understanding of legal matters, legal management and complex contractual constructs.
- Demonstrable experience of balancing commercial, technical and legal requirements to achieve successful outcomes with acceptable risk profiles.
- Experience of and expertise in public sector contracting in Belgium strongly preferred (but not essential)
- Experience of and expertise in public sector contracting in Netherlands and France or with the International Institutions of the European Union will be an advantage.
- Demonstrable commercial acumen and business orientated approach.
- Ability to communicate and build strong relationships across a diverse community of stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
- Persuasive, concise and clear verbal and written communicator.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Inclusive, approachable, consultative and enabling nature.
Additional / special features of the role
- Some travel around the Business Unit’s contracts will be required – a visible presence across the Business Unit is essential.
- Fluency in English, Dutch and French required. Proficiency in other European languages desirable.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
And the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies