Full-Stack Developer (ESAC)
Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to national strategies.
We are seeking a Full-Stack Developer to support the European Space Agency (ESA) at the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) in Madrid in the development and operations of scientific missions. This is a fantastic opportunity to get into one of the most sought-after space agencies in the world.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
Women in Aerospace Europe (WIA-E) – Supporting women in STEM (wia-europe.org)
In this role you will be part of the development and operations team, in charge of the design, implementation, testing and operations of Downlink Systems for ESA science missions like PLATO, LISA, BepiColombo, Juice, etc. Your role will be the one of a Scrum Developer within the Scrum team. You will help to organise the Sprint and Daily activities, will need to interact with ESA personnel to ensure proper implementation and testing of software, and to coordinate daily operational activities when needed.
As Full-Stack Developer you will concentrate your activities on the following areas:
- Design of software applications
- Software configuration management activities
- Setting up software infrastructure
- Coding and unit testing of back-end and/or front-end solutions
- Generation of automated End2End tests
- Operations and monitoring of deployed micro-services
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in computer science, engineering and/or physics
- +3 years’ experience in Software Engineering
- Knowledge and proven experience in:
- Modern programming languages (Java, Python, Angular)
- Software repositories (svn, git)
- Relational databases (MySQL)
- Project management tools (JIRA, Confluence)
- Continuous integration/deployment (Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Ansible, Docker)
- Linux Operating Systems (Ubuntu, Red Hat)
- Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban) and familiarity with DevOps practices
- Software engineering processes
- Test automation
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, flexible and able to work as members of interdisciplinary teams
- Fluent in English
Background knowledge in the following areas would be an asset:
- ESA software engineering processes and standards
- Science operations
The job is required to be performed at the European Space Astronomy Centre premises located in Villanueva de la Cañada, Madrid, Spain with flexible teleworking conditions.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies