EU Commission: Data Scientist (Radiative Transfer Modelling)
At Serco, we strive to promote and enable the diversity, development, wellbeing and safety of our people. We understand that healthier, happier employees go hand-in-hand with strong business performance, enhanced productivity and better outcomes for those we serve. We want everybody who works for Serco to have a positive experience and access to opportunities to develop in their chosen careers.
We are currently looking for Data Scientist with knowledge in Radiative Transfer Modelling - to join our team in Varese (Italy).
Does working in a Serco environment sound appealing to you?
We would love to hear from you and your interest in this new job opportunity!
Does this vacancy not suit your profile? Not to worry, you can send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org – a member of our Recruitment Team will come back to you shortly after.
- Harmonization of input data cards for all the RT codes included in ARTEMIS-OC;
- Preparation of the documentation;
- Analysis and use of AERONET data for the modeling of the atmospheric optical characteristics in ARTEMIS-OC;
- Ingestion in ARTEMIS-OC of the aerosol phase function models included in the NASA SeaDAS processing tool;
- Use of AERONET-OC and Bio-MAP in-situ data for the modeling of the water optical characteristics;
- Improvement of the computational efficiency of the NAUSICAA three-dimensional MonteCarlo code for the simulation of the adjacency effects;
- Performance of extensive simulations for the characterization of the sky-radiance (for analysis of uncertainties in in-situ data), of the signal at the satellite (for the analysis of uncertainties in EO data), and of the in-water radiance field (for the analysis of uncertainties in bio-optical modeling).
- Statistical analysis of simulated data
- Knowledge in radiative transfer modeling;
- Expertise requested in Shell scripting in a Linux environment;
- Expertise requested in scientific programming languages (like Fortran, C/C++, Python, Matlab, R);
- Knowledge of Fortran and Matlab programming languages is preferred;
- Expertise on software dedicated to satellite data analysis;
- Capacity for planning and taking initiative in an IT environment applied to scientific endeavors;
- English verbal and written skills requested for reporting and software documentation;
- Analysis and problem solving skills;
- Capability to write clear and structured technical documents
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Joining Serco Italy’s amazing team offers:
- Competitive Salary
- Great career opportunities in the Space industry
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
- Company events
- International environment
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies