17-1569 EPS-SG Operations Preparation Engineer
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The candidate shall be primarily responsible for overseeing activities required to customise Offline A&R for the MetOp-SGlA and MetOp-SGIB satellites, which share a largely common platform but different instruments. In this frame the tasks include:
- Validation and verification of ingestion of data from the Operational Ground Segment;
- Definition and prototyping/development of Python scripts necessary to perform all routine analysis resulting in time-series data or events. After these have been incorporated into the CHART system by the Software Team such that their results are written to the Validation Database, the Key person will be responsible for validating the results before authorising their release to the Operational Instance;
- Definition of report structures in xml, and if necessary addition to the existing library of Python 'widgets' used to plot and display data;
- Provision of consultancy to GS and MME teams with regard to offline tools and storage capability;
The candidate shall also support the definition of used cases for the GS functions and list of data sets needed for CaiN al and SDQAR (Science Data Quality Analysis and Reporting) purposes, including required timeliness for provision and required retention times in the GS engineering environment.
In addition to this mission specific customization, there is on-going work to further develop the Offline A&R internal design (CHART based) for all new SCOS/PUS based missions (MeOp-SG, MTG, JCS, Sentinel-3). To support this, the candidate will be responsible for coordinating inputs from the EPS-SG Ops Prep Team and supporting Verification and Validation activities as needed.
The candidate will coordinate the relevant inputs from members of the OPIT and Flight Operations Manuals and determine the best way to implement the required offline monitoring within the Offline A&R tool, and also play a leading role in defining how best to visualise data in the context of periodic reports. Prioritisation of work will be coordinated with the SOM and re-iterated as necessary according to the project schedule and criticality of each.
The candidate shall also support the operation preparation to produce reports on procedures development, validation status, operations static data and other configuration items developed by OPIT.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the candidate shall have at least 4 years’ experience in a relevant field with specific experience/knowledge as follow:
- Scripting skills, especially in Python and SQL;
- Data analysis and visualisation/synthesis skills;
- Understanding of Spacecraft Monitoring and the principles of Telemetry Packetisation;
- Be a self-starter capable of learning the CHART system with a minimum of supervision;
- Capable of developing and validating analysis based on test data from the Simulator and SSVT which may not be fully representative, and identifying any risks or limitations;
- Work in teams and good interpersonal skills to coordinate with team leaders and key stakeholders as well as in cooperation with industry and partner agencies;
- Perform under high workloads and prioritise work effectively;
- Able to commit to the plan and deliver the expected results on time or to report proactively if any deviations are foreseen.
Furthermore, it would be a distinct advantage for the candidate to have experience with some of the following:
- Knowledge of the ECSS E-70-41: Telemetry & Telecomm and Packet Utilisation standard;
- Knowledge of the mission control systems SCOS, Database, Procedures Editor environments;
- Configuration management of operation baseline components on operational systems;
- Knowledge of SQL and database management tools.
The candidate should be self-motivated and able to work in an organised and efficient manner without supervision. Strong data analysis, processing and synthesis skills are essential and an ability to recognise opportunities for improvements in areas of work and implement appropriate solutions is highly desirable.
The official languages of EUMETSA T are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore the candidate must be able to work effectively in this language and have knowledge of the other. Good communication skills would be also an advantage.
Please note that the closing date for the applications is on 01/10/2017.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you