At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
Please note this opportunity is subject to contract award
Here at Serco we’re looking for a 3rd Engineer (SDNR/SDVIC) to join our established business in Belgium.
You’ll play a key part in supporting the marine research team on ‘Belgica II’, the new Federal research vessel of the Belgian government.
Join our team as we embark on this new Belgian project where we will support marine research and scientific projects.
The key person will be responsible for:
- Maintenance, repair and spare parts for the diesel oil and lubricating oil purification plant including safety devices.
- Maintenance, repair and spare parts for all the fire pumps, bilge pumps; the drencher pump; also the fresh water pumps and salt water pumps and systems; the oily water separator and all sludge, fuel transfer and topping up pumps; sewage treatment and aeration machines
- Maintenance, repair and spare parts for all pipework and valves in the machinery and emergency control spaces; including remote operated isolation valves, remote controlled bilge and fuel isolation valves.
- Maintenance, repair and spare parts for all air compressors, air receivers and safety devices on the ship.
- Maintenance, repair and spare parts for all lifeboat engines and the emergency generator engine.
- Levels of fuels and lubricants retained on board ship and to make the chief or second engineers aware of any shortages from normal levels.
- Ensure any unusual occurrences or alterations to systems are noted in the watch keepers hand over book and it is completed before going off watch.
- Monitor all parameters or running pressures, levels and temperatures while on watch. Should any deviations from the norm be noticed the appropriate corrective action is to be taken, or the chief engineer contacted.
- When preparing to arrive or depart from port this officer is to make all systems and machinery ready for stand by condition; while on watch.
- Any other duties required by the Chief Engineer.
The key person should have:
- Valid Certificate of Competency as Engineering Officer of the Watch (Unlimited) STCW III/1
- Personal Survival Techniques (A-VI/1-1) (Updated within 5 years)
- Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (A-VI/1-2) (Updated within 5 years)
- Elementary First Aid (A-VI/1-3)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (A-VI/1-4)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (A-VI/6-1)
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid (A-VI/4-1)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (A-VI/3) (Updated within 5 years)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (A-VI/2-1) (Updated within 5 years)
- Unrestricted Medical Fitness Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Ship’s Safety Officer Certificate – Preferred
- Methodical in approach
- Good standard of education
- As per the required training matrix held within MHR 202 Training
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team. who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies