Technology expert in development of information systems with PHP/Symphony (21086, L 4)
Serco is a partner of choice to the European Institutions and other International Organisations. For the past 30 years, we have been providing European and International Organisations a wide range of services including ICT services in support, infrastructure, operations and development as well as managing different contact centres for the key European Institutions, agencies and organisations, in Brussels and across Europe.
What connects the ever-growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service –
To keep ahead, we have to evolve continually and enhance the way we deliver our services. Everyone in Serco has a role to play, here.
Serco provides the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
We are hiring a Technology expert in development of information systems with PHP/Symphony for our prestigious partner DIGIT TM (DG Informatics) in Brussels. DIGIT-TM is a contract from the European Commission for IT services across Europe.
If you like to work in a multi-cultural and dynamic environment, this opportunity can answer to your expectation.
We look forward meeting you! Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity!
At Serco, we do not only offer a career but also the opportunity to join a community where everyone’s wellbeing matters, by living out the Serco values in all we do!
The position refers to a Technical Expert to join the EU Academy Business Team. A number
of tasks are foreseen, as follows:
• Daily platform business operations - assign roles and associated access rights, business
configuration and operation settings, daily monitoring and responding immediately in the event of security or usability concerns, reviewing application logs, etc.
• Platform monitoring – Supervise upgrading systems and processes as necessary for enhanced functionality and security issue resolution, creating and verifying backups of data, etc.
• First level user help desk – provide technical support for software and hardware issues that internal and external users encounter in the daily use of the platform;
• Liaison with system administrator (technical) for aspects related to implementation documentation, business continuity, upgrades and security patches etc;
• Second level technical help desk – supervise and report on ticketing, change requests, planning of technical platform developments, etc.
• Set up of initial test environment pre-production release.
• Overseeing the user requirements gathering cycle and validating documented use cases.
• Preparation of user manuals for the applications.
• Special projects related to platform technical developments in PHP.
The successful candidate should be in a position to understand the whole architecture of the
application, and to contribute knowledge and expertise to technical projects as necessary as
• Architecture and design of information systems
• Review of the architecture of existing systems
• Design and development of architecture components and building blocks
• Coordination of the implementation of the technical architecture
• Production of software architecture documents
• Participation in technical working groups, progress meetings and meetings with the users
• Assistance during relevant parts of testing, analysis, technical documentation, deployment, evaluation and reporting
• Development of Custom Modules in PHP using Symphony
• Development of Custom Blocks in PHP using Symphony
• Validation and code review of the Modules developed and to be deployed on production.
• Development and customization of the Themes using less.
• Implementation and validation of responsive design of the application.
• Development of all custom features required for the Moodle application.
• Special projects related to platform technical developments in PHP.
He/she will also take the role of System Security Officer, advising the Business Manager on
ICT Security documentation (Business Impact Assessment, Security Plan etc), as demanded
by the System Owner, validating and updating the Security Plan and ensuring that the
required security countermeasures are implemented.
Expected deliverables are:
• Workflows and business processes, reports and logs for activities of system administrator (business) and daily platform business operations.
• Workflows and business processes for first tier user helpdesk logs, incident logs including security incidents, back-up logs and related follow-up.
• Workflows and business processes for second tier helpdesk incidents, upgrade planning, planning of security patches and related follow-up.
• User requirements gathering documentation and use case development.
• Test scripts for testing new functionalities pre-release.
• Security plan and implementation planning documentation, and programming of review cycles.
• Report on system administrator (business) activities provided on a monthly basis:
• number of call, type of problems, recommendations and advice.
• Training Materials and User Manuals for the applications, as requested.
• Special projects related to platform technical developments as required.
The required profile(s) is/are:
• Minimum 8 years of IT professional experience
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in development of information systems with PHP/Symphony
• Very good experience with relational databases
• Very good experience with web application development
• Good understanding of twig framework
• Minimum 3 years' experience with HTML5, CSS, and responsive design methodology;
• Minimum 2 years' experience with JIRA and/or GIT
• Ability to work in a team
• Ability to analyse complex documents
• Ability to follow and interpret Internal procedures and standards
• Ability to work with imposed deadlines
• Ability to work independently on specific tasks while at the same time functioning as a member of a project team.
As well as generic knowledge and skills linked to the profile, knowledge and expertise in the
following domains are important.
• Platform configuration and development
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
And the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies