Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you.
We are looking for a System Engineer for joining the Serco Engineering team.
The successful post holder will focus his/her activities on the following tasks:
- Provide customers with ongoing application technical support. This support includes responding to customer issues, transferring to operations updated software that solves bug issues, performing installations and working with the customer service team.
- Acquire and analyse customer needs and problems, making recommendations for new developing solutions.
- Customer analysis to tune applications that respond to customer need.
- Generation and maintenance of Operational Procedures and work instructions.
- Management of service incidents, anomalies and issues troubleshooting.
- Support testing and verification activities.
- Support the maintenance, operation and transfer of the managed applications.
- Provide innovative solutions to common problems.
- Generate ideas for innovating managed applications.
- Work with customer service and quality analysis teams to optimize products and ensure products stay up-to-date and continue to satisfy customer needs.
- Contribute to the continuous evolution of the managed applications.
- Regular interaction with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure systems integrity and security.
- Application monitoring and alarm analysis.
- Interface with third party suppliers.
- Technical notes editing support.
- Execute regular application maintenance activities.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should have the following skills and experience;
- Good knowledge of Linux Operating Systems (e.g. RedHat, CentOS, …).
- Comprehensive Knowledge of scripting languages such as Linux Shells and Python.
- Good Knowledge of Apache/Tomcat/HAproxy.
- Knowledge of Virtualization technologies such as Openstack and VMware vSphere.
- Knowledge of Database Management Systems (RDBMS and noSQL).
- Knowledge of git as a documentation repository and ansible, puppet, chef, as a system management and configuration tool.
- Experience in performing unit testing and validation.
- A solid understanding of network communications technology – Internet, Intranet, VPN, TCP/IP, etc.
- Project management abilities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Fluent in English Language (both written and spoken).
- Good communications skills.
- Capacity of working in team.
- Capacity of achieving schedule and milestones.
- Capacity of working under pressure.
- Pro¬active creative thinking in problem solving attitude.
- Ability to work in a team and to share and acquire knowledge.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel abroad for short-term periods.
- 2 years experience in validation and qualification activities.
- 2 years experience in application support.
Preferable: English Certification (≥ B1).
If candidates with equally relevant experience are identified, preference will be given to candidates within "Categorie Protette (Law 68/99)" or registered in “lista di mobilità” (only applicable in case of Italian candidates).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
About the Company
Serco Italia Spa, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco European Agencies