Spacecraft Operations Engineers for Interplanetary Missions
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Spacecraft Operations Engineers for Interplanetary Missions in Darmstadt.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), Darmstadt, Germany, tracks and controls European spacecraft, and develops and manages ground systems. As Europe’s centre of excellence for satellite operations, ESOC is home to the engineering teams that control spacecraft in orbit and build the systems on the ground that support missions in space.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
Women in Aerospace Europe (WIA-E) – Supporting women in STEM (wia-europe.org)
Do you have the curious mind and the absolute will to seize this opportunity? Are the planets of our solar system not just something processed in movies, but is it part of your professional DNA? Then this is the perfect and unique chance for you!
Serco as an important member of the consortium in which Telespazio is the prime contractor, has the opportunity to lead the transformation of spacecraft operations services for ESOC’s Interplanetary Division, leveraging on decades of experience in the real-time operations and engineering domains and a successful Consortium track record of spearheading service transformations in satellite operations. Our Consortium expects to take ownership of the operations of all the interplanetary missions: Bepi Colombo, Cluster, ExoMars, HERA, JUICE, Mars Express, MSR-ERO, Solar Orbiter and RFM.
To complement our existing teams, we are looking for experienced spacecraft operations professionals with a wide variety of profiles and seniorities, who can already demonstrate operational experience in a range of spacecraft subsystems, combined with a good understanding of ground segment systems.
- You will Lead and/or support spacecraft engineering activities for interplanetary missions, working closely with the mission’s Operations Manager, science team, project management, and flight software development team.
- Maintain and develop operational procedures and tools used in spacecraft operations for our planetary exploration missions.
- Participate in pre-launch and post-launch activities, including validation of procedures and data analysis.
- Monitor and analyse spacecraft telemetry, and use that data to make decisions about the spacecraft's health and safety in real-time.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, physics, computer science, or a related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in spacecraft operations, preferably with a focus on planetary exploration.
- Experience with mission planning, spacecraft commanding, trending, and analysis.
- Knowledge of spacecraft subsystems, including telecommunications, power, propulsion, attitude control and guidance, and instruments.
- Strong proficiency with software development (Python, Java, C++), repository-based software development, and database management.
We look forward to hearing from you and to discuss how you may fit into our interplanetary missions’ flight team!
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies