We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Spacecraft Controller in Darmstadt.
Note: The position is offered as a fixed-term contract until 30/11/203 with a possibility of extension.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), Darmstadt, Germany, tracks and controls European spacecraft, and develops and manages ground systems. As Europe’s centre of excellence for satellite operations, ESOC is home to the engineering teams that control spacecraft in orbit and build the systems on the ground that support missions in space.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
As Spacecraft Controller you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- Operate all or part of the mission control system, which may include parts of the ground segment as well as the space segment, as specified for each mission.
- Depending on the mission assignment, during the pre-launch phase assist in configuring and testing the operational system to support the operations.
- The successful candidate may be required to develop methods or tools to assist in the execution of the operations.
- Depending on the mission assignment, on-console involvement in Mission Readiness Tests, System Validation Tests, simulations and Launch and Early Orbits Phase operations authorised by the Spacecraft Operations Manager, following established rules and procedures.
- In case of ground or space segment anomaly take corrective action as necessary, applying the contingency/emergency procedures approved for the mission to ensure spacecraft safety and the continuity of service provision to users. Immediately inform the Spacecraft Operations Manager and/or his/her official deputy when a major or critical anomaly is detected, in accordance with the established procedures.
- Participate to other operations-related activities (small system development, procedures development or maintenance etc) upon request.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- A solid technical background or a BSc degree in a related subject such as Aerospace Engineering, Telecommunications, Physics etc.
- Experience working with computer systems and PC literacy is required, DB knowledge would be useful.
- Candidates should be ordered, disciplined and have an efficient thinking mind as the appointed person should feel comfortable in a strictly procedure-driven working environment.
- Due to the operational nature of the job, candidates shall be able to work in a calm and correct manner under conditions of stress and in almost full autonomy.
- As the successful candidate could be part of a small Ops Team working on a shift rotation pattern, team spirit is also essential to adapt to the sometimes unavoidable short-term changes to the shift plan resulting from sudden sicknesses or other exceptional circumstances.
- As official, recorded voice communications via voice loop between stations/centres is part of the job, fluency in English is mandatory.
- Fluency in English.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies