Space System Architect
For our great and dynamic Offices in Brussels we are looking for a Space System Architect, who will be responsible for developing elements of bid-winning solutions for the Europe division and for contributing to the development of value propositions that meet customers’ requirements, leading to successful prosecution of opportunities.
You will work on large and medium sized bids in the Space pipeline and work with teams of Operational Leads, Subject Matter Experts, Bid Directors, Bid Managers, other “horizontal” resources and third party organisations, such as supply chain partners or specialist suppliers.
At Serco, we do not only offer a career but also the opportunity to join a community where everyone’s wellbeing matters, by living out the Serco values in all we do!
You will be expected to:
Support work in the area of modelling of system or sub-system aspects for end-to-end services and operations.
- Effective capture of customer requirements and turning these requirements into compelling value propositions, forming the basis for proposals and bid solutions
- Contribute to the delivery of elements of solutions for key bids, projects and programmes
- Work as part of a team designing solutions that lead to winning business.
Systems Engineering & Enterprise Architecture
- Support elaboration of value chains and system architecture for Earth Observation related services (focus on Ground Segments services and architectures);
- Contribute to designing solutions for major bids using Systems Engineering & Solution/ Enterprise Architecture approaches
- Use systems engineering approaches; for example, COAD, TOGAF, MODAF, Soft Systems etc to develop or Enterprise Architectures
- Requirements Capture including assisting the running of interactive customer workshops
- Conduct, as needed:
- Functional analysis and design
- Design of the overall system concept
- System level budgets
- System performance analyses
- Definition of spacecraft and/or payload subsystems and related data processing, and interfaces between payload/platform and launcher and ground segment;
- Assist the development of the overall vision, high level architectural design and Target Operating Model (TOM) for the bid, project or programme
- Contribute to the analysis of As-Is solutions, design of To-Be solutions and design of the transition between the two states, so that the To-Be solution can be effectively delivered
- Assist the development of manpower / workforce solutions, incorporating elements such as TUPE transfer and asset management solutions
- Assist the integration of IT and IT transformation.
Process and Data Analytics
- Use all aspects Business Process Re-engineering
- Coordinate aspects of data analytics & benchmarking including data acquisition (i.e. from historical records, collating market data, GIS etc.) data analytics (including regression analysis, statistics etc) and development of benchmarks and benchmarking regimes to develop effective solutions
- Assist with the management of specialist analytics contractors/suppliers
- Contribute to the development of solutions that are compliant with Serco’s Target Operating Model (TOM) and the Serco Management System (SMS) requirements.
- Help develop the knowledge-base to support bids in other Serco markets
Proposition Development and Bidding
- Work in multi-disciplinary bid & other teams
- Assist with running pilots and innovation demonstrators
- Contribute to the development of safe, regulatory compliant solutions, taking into account developing legislation and increasing regulatory compliance requirements
- Introduce innovation that will differentiate Serco’s propositions in a crowded market place
- Assist with the development of solutions and value propositions in current, new & emerging areas; for example, Engineering, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) and live/synthetic training, etc
- Help to ensure compliance to the Serco Business Lifecycle governance processes and that the ‘best brains’ critically review the solution (technical, commercial, financial and written) and benchmark where appropriate
- Work in a matrix structure
- Assist in embedding continuous improvement into solutions & adopting best practice methods from across Serco’s contracts and industry.
People & Culture
- Work effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including senior internal stakeholders through governance review processes to manage expectations and gain support for proposals/solutions
- Work closely with other indirect/horizontal resources, providing solution leadership and clear direction to the bid team
- Work effectively with partners and subcontractors to contribute to a coherent solution, ensuring commercial sensitivities are considered appropriately.
- Assist the management of the solution budget for major opportunities, ensuring compliance and effective optimum utilisation of resources
- Apply relevant financial and commercial models to achieve effective technical solutions, working closely with the commercial & financial teams
- Help to ensure that the operational and technical solution are fully reflected in the commercial proposal and costing model and that the solution is deliverable
- Use financial data to review and assess opportunities and aid decision-making
- Participate in competitor analysis to assess strength of Serco solution and allocate Pwin.
- MSc, or equivalent qualification, in a relevant technical or scientific discipline
- Systems Engineering/Solution or Enterprise Architecture experience desirable
Essential technical and professional skills and knowledge
- Good general knowledge of ESA Earth Observation missions
- Strong and demonstrated background in space system engineering, mission analysis and Ground Segment architecture design, and in particular for Earth Observation missions
- Experience in space projects, preferably in the Earth Observation field and/or in preparatory activities (focus on phase C and D and E)
- Earth Observation remote sensing techniques with proven experience in in the preparation of ground segment documentation relating to requirements engineering, design, and IV&V planning and execution.
- Good understanding of Systems Engineering approaches, including Solution and Enterprise Architecture; ability to maintain a system overview.
- Understanding of ICT technologies and solutions
- Good analytical skills with ability to assimilate information quickly, and communicate key messages simply and effectively to the business to aid decision making
- Proficiency in written and spoken English: able to explain complex technical constructs with ease. Ability to write compelling prose is essential
- Good negotiation and presentation skills. Maybe demonstrated through participation in Competitive Dialogue or other OJEU processes
- Demonstrates exceptional communication skills to include interpersonal, written, staff level and executive level business briefings
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of stakeholder management and the ability to develop effective relationships at all levels
- Ability to work collaboratively and influence effective outcomes
- Effective management of self with track record of involvement in change in complex and demanding environments, interacting with individuals at all levels of the organisation
- Methodical and proactive, with initiative and capability to work autonomously
- Problem-solving and creativity-oriented attitude
- Good commercial judgment and financial literacy.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in the Earth Observation domain
- Experience in business development for public or private sector service providers with demonstrated growth success
- Experience of Systems Engineering, Solutions &/or Enterprise Architecture methodologies to develop Target Operating Models (TOMs)
- Experience with relevant standards and management processes in particular with respect to Service management, project management, risk management and configuration management including processes for handling of requirements, changes, problems and incidents i.e. ITIL, ECSS, PRINCE2
- Experience of all aspects of Business Process Re-engineering
- Demonstrable track record in sales & marketing execution
- Experience of working in diverse teams and managing/influencing indirect resources
- Good understanding of contract management and service delivery
- Proven negotiation skills
- Experience of applying Lean or Continuous Improvement at organisational level.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
And the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies