Software & Validation (On-Board & Ground) Engineer (RT-P/TEC-SWF/00703)
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. We have over 40 years’ experience in supporting the space sector: Since the creation of the European Space Agency (ESA), our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
For our activities in the European Space Agency, we are currently seeking to employ a Software & Validation (On-Board & Ground) Engineer to work at our customer site ESTEC, Noordwijk, the Netherlands.
- Development of Software Validation Facility components as well for the generic facilities as special project applications. This includes processor emulators, simulation of spacecraft systems and spacecraft dynamics.
- Tasks within design, test and validation of on-boards software.
- Task within customization of real-time operating systems for space applications.
- Tasks within maintenance and expert support within the software development tool-set.
- Tasks within system evaluation, testing and performance characterization of telecommunication systems as networking via satellite or network management.
- Design, implementation and testing tasks for the Section’s technology programme.
The contractor will be assigned to the Flight Software Systems Section
and will be in charge of the following (initial) tasks:
- To specify the SW unit/integration test plan including test strategy and success criteria.
- To implement and execute the SW unit/integration tests on the ASW.
- To specify the SW validation test plan including test strategy, test cases and success criteria.
- To implement and execute the SW validation tests on the ASW.
- To implement the necessary SW corrections.
- To generate and maintain the required software documentation.
- A PhD or MSc or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electronic Engineering or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience with:
- Software engineering.
- Programming language: C and debugging skills (gdb).
- Embedded Real Time Systems and Real Time Kernels (RTEMS).
- Methods for validation and unit testing.
- The following experience is considered an asset:
- Communication protocols (SpaceWire, Simple Serial Interface (SSI)).
- Familiarity with test automation.
- Programming language: TCL.
- Knowledge of PUS ECSS-E-ST-70-41A Telemetry and telecommand packet utilization.
- Knowledge of SPARC LEON3 and multicore processor.
- Software Engineering tools (GNU/Linux, Makefile, Python, gcc, git).
- Software Engineering Standards such as the ECSS-E-ST-40C.
- The contractor will be part of the flight software systems section at ESA and will interact very closely with ESA’s Juice team and Pep-Lo SW provider. Because of the operational nature of the support, a proactive and flexible attitude will be required.
- Experience with embedded real-time software development will be an advantage.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies