Software Engineer for data processing services
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We are looking for a team of experienced and motivated software engineers. The team will work on several ground segments with roles focusing on development or operations and maintenance phases.
This activity is intended to support the whole Payload Data Ground Segment implementation cycle, covering:
- Requirements Engineering
- Contribute to the SW Requirements Definition and Maintenance Process
- SW & Interface Design
- Participate to the description of the SW architecture and interfaces between external SW components.
- Perform technical analysis of SW architecture and specification evolutions or major upgrades of the operational SW components, for interfaces coherence and compatibility check with other ongoing developments.
- Integration, Verification & Validation
- Contribute to the IV&V testing approach for major evolutions of the operational SW components and contribute to the co-ordination of the installation, integration and verification of new SW components into the operational infrastructure.
- Contribute to the definition of the IV&V approach for the future ground systems (from the SW point of view).
- Contribute to the creation of Software Engineering models of Ground Systems using an MBSE approach and/or maintaining existing model baselines.
- Contribution to Operations
- Activities for the preparation and contribution to the Operations of the Ground Segment.
- Contribute to the maintenance, for all the operational ground systems, of a complete and consistent set of System Technical Documentation and the baseline
- Participation in project specific activities
In coordination with the system and interface engineers of the future ground segment, ensure that the definition and documentation of new interfaces are compatible with the methodology used in Operations; this includes the use of common templates for Interface Control Document and the use of the same tool for maintaining the interfaces data dictionary.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidates will have:
- Engineering of large, UNIX or LINUX based, complex, real-time data processing systems;
- Source code control systems (e.g. Subversion, Git);
- Software anomalies analysis, debugging, profiling, fixing and processing;
- Proven ability in I&V of complex systems
- Requirements and verification management
- Formal testing at component, facility and system level
- Creation of suitable test cases, documentation and their execution
- Experience in benchmarking and stress testing
- Structured software development and verification
- Software maintenance, performance monitoring
- ECSS standards
- Experience in operational environments under strict change control
- Configuration control
Working in the following Application areas:
- Near real-time, Earth observation data processing, archiving, distribution
- Satellite monitoring and control (e.g. SCOS-2000)
- Mission control functions
- Satellite communications (packet TM/TC, PUS, SLE protocol)
- Ground Station monitoring and control
- University degree or equivalent qualification, preferably in Remote Sensing and Earth Observation
- Project management experience, preferably in the field of Earth Observation Ground Segment Development
- Knowledge of the Earth Observation missions (and instruments) and processes related to their PDGS development would be an asset.
- Knowledge of relevant Engineering standards
- Ability to write technical documents and converse in English
- Good communication skills and ability to work in international teams
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if required)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies