At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
Please note this opportunity is subject to contract award
Here at Serco we’re looking for a Second Engineer to join our established business in Belgium.
You’ll play a key part in supporting the marine research team on ‘Belgica II’, the new Federal research vessel of the Belgian government.
Join our team as we embark on this new Belgian project where we will support marine research and scientific projects.
The key person will be responsible for:
- To participate in the general planning of maintenance and operations
- To control the detailed implementation of the general plans in appropriate areas
- To ensure that all safety requirements are met during maintenance
- To plan and co-ordinate the activities of his immediate subordinates
- To serve as a member of the management team
- To implement safety policies and practices
- To act as training officer for any Engineer Cadet/Rating
- To be the deputy of the Chief Engineer whenever necessary
- To assist and advise the Chief Engineer with regards to the performance of immediate subordinates and cadets.
- To fulfil the role of Safety Officer onboard the vessel
- To effect and control the quality of all maintenance of machinery and allied equipment, taking charge personally as necessary.
- To assist with any planned maintenance system and its related documentation.
- To advise the Chief Engineer on matters pertaining to seaworthiness of the vessel at all times.
- To ensure that the ship is ready in all technical respects for any operational requirement.
- To assume the responsibility for the maintenance of all fixed safety equipment in the engine room,
- To participate as required in watch keeping and the organisation of engine rooms watches, and to implement and monitor operations under the Unmanned System.
- To carry out instructional duties as required and to assist with the training/familiarisation of all crew members
- To familiarise him/herself with the technical equipment in all areas, other than the navigating bridge.
- To understudy the Chief Engineer and to develop him/herself for promotion by acquiring the flexibility of attitude and management skills necessary to promote progress.
- The day-to-day control and supervision of the engine room officers & ratings as necessary, ensuring that safe working practices and procedures are followed.
- To control and record the use of all stores and spares utilised in maintenance tasks, relating to the technical installation and equipment.
- To perform other duties as required by the Chief Engineer.
The key person should have:
- Valid Certificate of Competency as Second Engineer (Unlimited) STCW III/2
- Personal Survival Techniques (A-VI/1-1) (Updated within 5 years)
- Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (A-VI/1-2) (Updated within 5 years)
- Elementary First Aid (A-VI/1-3)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (A-VI/1-4)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (A-VI/6-1)
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid (A-VI/4-1)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (A-VI/3) (Updated within 5 years)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (A-VI/2-1) (Updated within 5 years)
- Unrestricted Medical Fitness Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Ship’s Safety Officer Certificate – Preferred
- Methodical in approach
- Good standard of education
- As per the required training matrix held within MHR 202 Training.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team. who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies