STEM Didactics Expert - Scientist
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organizations with skilled talent.
We are seeking for a STEM Didactics Expert - Scientist to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC) in the Netherlands. This is a fantastic opportunity to get into one of the most sought after space agencies in the world.
Please note that this role provides a fixed term contract starting from 01/03/2024 to 31/08/2024.
As STEM Didactics Expert - Scientist you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- Develop and deliver didactic content and activities related to STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) at secondary school education level, with a special focus on sciences (physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, geography, etc).
- Design and produce classroom resources/activities on the subjects covered by the above teacher training modules (in different formats: classical printed lessons, practical/lab activities, tablet applications and content, etc).
- Coordinate with the ESA ESERO national offices for the design, co-production, and delivery of such classroom activities to the benefit of ESA Member States.
- Adapt/update/upgrade existing teacher training modules and classroom resources/activities when required.
- Contribute to the design, and manage the implementation of ESA challenges and competitions on the subject of sciences for secondary schools at European level (e.g using micro/hyper gravity platforms to perform experiments, such as Drop Towers, etc)
- Contribute to the procurement actions for material items and services needed to implement the activities and to the logistics associated to the activities.
- Collaborate with the ESERO3 Science & Project Coordinator for the promotion of the teacher training sessions to the benefit of the whole ESERO network; equally promote such opportunities within all ESA Member States.
- Support the outreach, promotion and dissemination of ESA primary and secondary education activities, through appropriate channels and in compliance with ESA Education outreach guidelines, in the area of concern.
- Contribute in general to the design and implementation of ESA STEM informal education projects at secondary school level, also addressing role modelling, STEM/space careers and gender issues.
- Support the evaluation of education activities against Key Performance Indicators in the area of concern.
- Respond to the direct contacts and external requests from education partners and the European education community.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- University Master degree, or equivalent, in Science.
- Knowledge of European STEM school curricula, with a focus on Sciences.
- Specific experience in the design and development of didactic content on scientific subjects applied to secondary school curricula; direct teaching experience and/or teacher training experience.
- Sound knowledge of ESA and the space field.
- Experience in international environments.
- Project management skills and experience.
- Capability of establishing and maintaining interfaces within and outside the Agency.
- Capability to respond and adapt to the needs of the European education communities.
- Autonomy in the execution of tasks and ability to manage workload, identify priorities and strategic actions.
- Ability to cope with pressure, meet deadlines and deliver on time.
- Creativity; strong conceptual, analytical, interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team.
- Good communication skills, verbal (in public and during formal meetings) and written.
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another Member State language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Company events
• Access to training
• Access to the sport and social recreational facilities at ESTEC Escape Recreation Centre
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work. We are a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Serco Europe has operated in the Netherlands and Spain over the past 30 years, mainly in the field of Space. Serco Netherlands and Spain have a long history of partnership and trust with the European Space Agency (ESA).
In both countries, Serco is proud to deliver the highest calibre of people and services at ESTEC (ESA’s technology and engineering hub) and ESAC (ESA’s Astronomy and Science centre).
At the heart of its business, Serco Netherlands and Spain source, train, care and support employees, enabling them to better pursue their dreams of working in the Space industry in excelling in the delivery of essential public services.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For more information on how the personal data in your application is process, please see the link Data Protection policy here.
Serco European Agencies