Radiative Transfer Atmospheric Scientist
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Scientist will perform the following activities, under the direction and guidelines of the Work Package leader and Area Manager:
• Use existing AIRWAVE (Advanced Infra-Red WAter Vapour Estimator) algorithm to compute TLWC (Total Liquid Water Content) in clear sky night-day;
• Adapt existing AIRWAVE algorithm to S3-SLSTR instument over both sea and land terrain in clear sky condition;
• Contribute to data analysis and algorithm comparisons with radiosonde measurements and model;
• Perform sensitivity study, optimization and error assessment of the atmospheric methods developed;
• Support data reprocessing of atmospheric instruments data from ESA and Third Party Missions on the Atmospheric Chemistry domain;
• Perform QA and Cal/Val activities for ESA and Third Party Missions on the Atmospheric Chemistry domain;
• Contribute to the writing of scientific papers and presentations in international conferences;
• Attendance to European progress meeting or conferences.
The Ideal Candidate
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
Mandatory requisites are:
• Good experience with atmospheric satellite data and radiative trasfer models;
• Good oral and written communication;
• Spatial, temporal and other statistical analyses of EO data;
• Scientific publication and reporting (including oral presentations) of results;
• Good Working proficiency in English.
• Good scientific programming skills (e.g. Matlab, IDL, C, Pyton or Fortran);
In addition, the candidate shall have:
• Attitude to follow guidelines and to require minimum supervision, proactively requesting help when needed
• Ability to plan and report and to work to deadline.
• Availability to travel to attend meetings.
• Experience with Atmosheric Earth Observation Satellite mission data
• Experience with atmospheric constituents
If candidates with equally relevant experience are identified, preference will be given to candidates within "Categorie Protette (Law 68/99)" or registered in “lista di mobilità” (only applicable in case of Italian candidates).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
About the Company
Serco Italia Spa, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco European Agencies