RT-C/TEC-SWT/00521 Software Development Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Software Development Engineer based at ESTEC.
The Software Engineer will join the Software Technology section. He/she will be assigned to support the preparation and executions of activities related to new technologies in both Ground and Flight areas of the Software Division.
The activities to support include:
- Machine Learning applications for data processing: image processing, anomaly detection, predictive maintenance, support to test, intrusion, threat and malware detection, etc.;
- Autonomous applications: autonomous planning of spacecrafts, e.g. automatic selection of observation targets, automatic rendez-vous with non-cooperative targets, automatic landing, vehicle systems management, etc.;
- End to end cybersecurity systems: Information security system requirements analysis, architecture, and design, protection against AI-enabled attacks and threat vectors;
- Knowledge representation and reasoning, Natural Language Processing: support to requirements engineering, support to spacecraft Assembly Integration Test and Validation;
- Verification and Validation of new technologies for their use in space systems.
- Model Based System Software Engineering: Ensuring the digital continuity starting from high-level system models down to automatic code generation. The support will be provided to both internal (R&D) and external (projects) activities.
Additionally, he/she will cover the following tasks and activities:
- Project Support: support potential space projects from the standpoint of software engineering, flight software or ground software, generally embedded real-time, under guidance of a staff. Tasks within design, test and validation of on-boards software.
- Research & Development: support the R&D plan implementation by contributing to the production of statement of work, running the R&D contracts, and working in the laboratory to develop and maintain the laboratory assets.
- Standardisation: contribute to the development of space software standards (ECSS-E-40 family).
The Ideal Candidate
Applicants for this post should have a Master degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related discipline, together with a good experience in the development of Software applications related to the specific tasks of the position.
Results orientation and relationship management are considered important.
The successful candidate should be familiar with modern software engineering practices and tools:
- Knowledge in Artificial Intelligence technologies is mandatory.
- Software practical experience, Object Oriented design methods, databases, compilers, Linux, Windows as well as several programming and scripting languages such as C, C++, Python, R, Haskell, Java is mandatory.
- Knowledge of modelling tools (e.g. Matlab) and libraries (e.g.TensorFlow) is an important asset.
- Knowledge in (Model-Based) Software production, test processes and associated tools (e.g. Capella, Magic Draw, Enterprise Architect, On-Board Software Reference Architecture, TASTE) is an asset.
- Knowledge in software standards (space ECSS, aircrafts, train, automotive) is interesting.
- A pro-active and can-do attitude is expected.
- Relevant experience within real-time software systems and software engineering.
- Familiarity with modern software engineering methods and have hands on experience of software development and verification tools.
- Experience within ESA space programmes and applications using the space qualified.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies