RT-C/TEC-SWG/00520 EGSE Software Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an EGSE Software Engineer based at ESTEC.
The ideal key person will be assigned to the Ground Software Systems and Functional Verification Section of the Software Systems Division.
The successful candidate will provide on demand expertise in activities related to EGSE systems:
- Project (such as eSail, PLATO) support on the procurement, development and utilisation of EGSE systems, including problem solving, interfaces with external systems and project reviews.
- Project support for Ground Software Systems, such as the EarthCare Operational Scientific Ground Segment development, Level 0, 1 and 2 data processing, visualisation. This includes generic software engineering, software development support, collaborative software development environment support, software acceptance (compilation, installation, running tests).
- Support on R&D studies, specifically related to the (currently under development) European Ground System Common Core (EGS-CC), which will be the basis of the future Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and Mission Control Systems (MCS) infrastructures in Europe.
- Maintenance and future developments of the EGSE Reference Facility as part of the Software Systems Laboratory. This includes software builds and integration of industrial elements to the EGSE reference facility as well as the functional verification in end-to-end scenarios, maintenance of an EGSE software library/configuration management/lab website, evaluation of needs and generation of requirements for enhancements.
- Support Standardization activities in the EGSE domain (e.g. E70-30 Monitoring and Control Data Definition, E70-32 Test and Operations Language, E70-41 PUS, E10-23 Space System Data Repository).
Additionally, the successful candidate should perform the following tasks:
- Integrating industrial elements in the EGSE reference facility and verifying their functioning in end to end scenarios.
- Developing and performing end to end verification and validation tests (including e.g. populating EGSE reference facility database, developing test procedures).
- Identifying, isolating and fixing software problems.
- Maintaining an EGSE software library/configuration management/lab website.
- Providing technical support to projects on specific issues related to EGSEs and their utilisation (including solving problems).
- Evaluate needs and generate requirements for enhancements.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate should bring a Master degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science,
Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline, and minimum 4 years of the relevant experience.
The candidate shall have extensive practical experience of implementing and building complex software systems in the space domain, in developing and utilizing EGSEs, in modelling monitoring and control data in compliance with the ESA monitoring and control systems (legacy systems such as SCOS or future systems such as EGS-CC.
- Knowledge of modern software engineering practices and standards applied to real-time systems.
- Knowledge of Space Systems and Space System Engineering is necessary.
Additionally, the Key Person requires in particular experience with one or more topics such as:
- SW development (Java, Eclipse);
- Service oriented and component based architectures (OSGi, Karaf);
- Unix/Linux system administration and programming;
- Configuration management and build of large SW projects (Git, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Gradle);
- Object Oriented design methods and corresponding tools (e.g. MagicDraw);
- Databases: Oracle, Postgres, Hadoop;
- SCOS 2000 and the SCOS 2000 MIB ICD;
- Experience with the relevant ECSS standards particularly PUS and its tailoring.
- An ability to work independently and to establish good working relations with ESA and industrial counterparts is essential.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies