RT-C/TEC-SWF/00524 Software & Validation (On-Board & Ground) EngineerENTER
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Software & Validation (On-Board & Ground) Engineer based at ESTEC.
Within the Flight Software Systems Section, the ideal candidate will provide support to the JUICE Mission and in particular to the Radio Plasma and Wave Instrument (RPWI) which will characterize the radio emission and plasma environment of the Jupiter System. He/She will be assigned to the Flight Software Systems Section to work for the Swedish Institute of Space Physics in Uppsala on site and will be in charge of the following (initial) tasks:
- Development and validation of the software for the Radio Plasma and Wave Instrument (RPWI) of the ESA JUICE mission.
- Perform unit testing of the Instrument software.
- Generating and maintenance of the required software documentation. Project support related to all technical aspects: development and qualification of flight software.
- General Support to Software Validation Facilities and Avionics Test Bench infrastructure activities.
Additionally, he/she will cover the following tasks and activities:
- Development of Software Validation Facility components as well for the generic facilities as special project applications. This includes processor emulators, simulation of spacecraft systems and spacecraft dynamics.
- Tasks within design, test and validation of on-boards software.
- Task within customization of real-time operating systems for space applications.
- Tasks within maintenance and expert support within the software development tool-set.
- Tasks within system evaluation, testing and performance characterization of telecommunication systems as networking via satellite or network management.
- Design, implementation and testing tasks for the Section’s technology programme.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will bring a PhD or MSc or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electronic Engineering or a related discipline, and minimum 4 years of experience in the tasks similar to the ones described above.
The ideal candidate shall have in particular:
Demonstrated experience with:
- Software engineering.
- Programming language: C and debugging skills (gdb).
- Embedded Real Time Systems and Real Time Kernels (RTEMS).
- Methods for validation and unit testing.
The following experience is considered an asset:
- Communication protocols (SpaceWire, Simple Serial Interface (SSI)).
- Familiarity with test automation.
- Programming language: TCL.
- Knowledge of PUS ECSS-E-ST-70-41A Telemetry and telecommand packet utilization.
- Knowledge of SPARC LEON3 and multicore processor.
- Software Engineering tools (GNU/Linux, Makefile, Python, gcc, git).
- Software Engineering Standards such as the ECSS-E-ST-40C.
The post holder shall be part of the RPWI team. Because of the operational nature of the support, a proactive and flexible attitude will be required.
Experience with embedded real-time software development will be an advantage.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies