RT-C/TEC-SAG/00572 GNC (Guidance Navigation and Control) Systems Engineer
Serco Nederland BV part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a GNC (Guidance Navigation and Control) Systems Engineer based at ESTEC.
The successful candidate will support any or all the following activities:
- Support to the ESTEC GNC Section for the development of space transportation GNC systems. This comprises, flight vehicles ranging from Expandable Launchers, Reusable Launch Vehicles RLV's as well as Ascenders and Landers for Exploration applications.
- Address the multi-disciplinary/physics and high-fidelity End to End vehicle dynamics modelling with implementation in 6DoF simulation environments (Matlab, Simulink, DSpace).
- The candidate must have a track record in the design of classical space transportation GNC systems including Thrust Vector Control/Attitude Control Systems.
- Mastering of advanced multivariable GNC design and verification approaches for the stability and performance robustness analysis is a prerequisite.
- Daily support and independent expert analyses shall be provided to the development of ongoing and future ascender and descender systems including micro-launchers, re-entry systems, re-usable VTVL Systems in atmospheric and orbital flight on current ESA Simulation and Verification Platforms.
- Specific GNC design tasks shall include detailed flight mechanics, environment, aero-dynamics, structures, propulsion, actuator and sensor system modelling.
- The post holder shall perform system sizing, requirements capture, architecture conception, advanced GNC design as well as performance and SW validation analyses. Support shall be given to the conception of new Mission Vehicle and Flight Management (MVMS) Systems towards incremental Flight Autonomy.
- The MVMS architectures shall include Advanced Monitoring and Reconfiguration Systems (FDIR) as well as state-of the art Flight SW based on Robust Adaptable Control & Real-Time Optimised Guidance Strategies.
- New efficient validation Advanced Analysis Tools must be mastered to drastically improve the gaps and shortcomings of current validation approaches.
- The post holder shall provide regular Technical Reporting of the GNC Design and Analysis as well as contribute in the preparation and execution of project and technology studies reviews.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will bring a PhD or M.Sc. in Control and Aerospace engineering from a recognised Institute of secondary studies or equivalent and minimum of 4 years’ experience in the space sector.
Additionally, the person requires:
- Proven experience in the design, tuning, analysis and simulation of GNC systems in different project phases.
- Proven knowledge of modern control design methods, commercial model-based design tools (MATLAB).
- Experience with rapid-prototyping of hardware-in-the-loop systems.
- Ability to interface with industry.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies