RT-C/TEC-QI/00504 Safety Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Safety Engineer based at ESTEC.
The successful candidate will support any or all of the following activities:
- Support the ESA Safety Review Panel chairman in the conduct of ESA safety reviews for the certification of International Space Station systems and payloads;
- Provide technical support to projects for the interpretation of safety requirements and the preparation of the safety review data package;
- Perform ESA Safety Review Panel secretarial tasks for data package distribution, reviews planning and logistics, collection of reviewers inputs, issue of official ESRP minutes of meeting ensuring that they are executed according to the process requirements in SSP 30599 and the complementary ESA processes;
- Perform preliminary assessment of safety data package readiness for review;
- Track and process action items responses and safety verifications closeouts;
- Upload of documentation in NASA and ESA databases;
- Assess safety analyses and safety compliance data packages prepared by cargo items providers (industrial contractors, experimenters, National Agencies, ISS commercial users) and provide detailed written feedback;
- Support ESA in the review of ISS Change Requests relevant to Safety requirements;
- Execute any other safety engineering related task upon request of the ESA Technical Responsible;
- Provide support to the ESRP Chairperson for the aspect associated to resolution of technical issues and conduction of safety reviews;
- Prepare weekly report on the executed safety engineering activities.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will bring a PhD or M.Sc. Engineering from a recognised Institute of secondary studies or equivalent and minimum of 4 years’ experience in the space sector.
Additionally, the person requires:
- Experience in the design and engineering of safety critical systems;
- Hands-on knowledge of the safety analyses and methodologies;
- Experience in human spaceflight safety with emphasis on the application of ISS safety requirements and processes and knowledge of ISS systems, subsystems and payloads would be an asset;
- Good interpersonal, organization and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment;
- Understanding of the hazards which are intrinsic of a system and /or induced by space operations, and the way they are eliminated or controlled;
- Knowledge of the way safety data are generated, validated and retained in support of the ISS programme safety certification;
- Knowledge of Configuration Management;
- Familiarity with space product assurance practices is an advantage;
- Capacity to handle complex situations and complex environment;
- Knowledge of system safety engineering principle, methods and processes.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies