RT-C/TEC-EFW/00518 Wave Interaction & Propagation Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Wave Interaction & Propagation Engineer based at ESTEC.
The successful post holder will concentrate his/her activities on the following tasks:
- Support to Earth Observation projects in the field of microwave (active and passive) remote sensing of natural surfaces (land and sea) and of atmosphere: wave interaction, data processing, retrieval algorithms and performance assessment;
- Support to internal activities and projects in the field of microwave propagation in the atmosphere: theoretical and empirical modeling, and related analysis of impact on telecom, navigation or data downlink for Earth Observation and Space Exploration missions R&D in related fields;
- Support to the experimental facility;
Additionally, the ideal candidate will have the following tasks:
- Contribution to the work in the field of wave propagation and interaction engineering in support to ESA Projects in Telecoms, Navigation, Earth Observation and Science and Exploration.
- Assistance in the implementation of the Agency’s R&D programme.
- Identification, implementation and validation of in-house software tools.
- Contribution to the design and execution of propagation or interaction measurement campaigns.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will bring a PhD or MSc in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related specialisation, as well as experience in these fields, and minimum 4 years of experience in the tasks similar to the ones described above.
Additionally, the key person requires:
- Background in the physics and/or engineering of microwave interaction with natural environment;
- Experience with microwave remote sensing observation concepts;
- Experience with microwave atmosphere propagation models;
- Good programming skills;
- Previous experience with experimental instruments (e.g. ground microwave radiometers) is considered an asset.
- Broad experience in the physics of electromagnetic interaction as well as in the development and validation of retrieval algorithms for atmospheric remote sensing.
- Understanding of the scientific background and experience with the performance assessment and the end-to-end simulation of atmospheric remote sensing instruments.
- Broad experience in the development and validation of retrieval algorithms for Earth Observation as well as in the calibration and validation of remote sensing instruments.
- Experience in mobile satellite communications and navigation.
- Knowledge in ionospheric propagation and its effects on telecommunications and navigation systems.
- Knowledge of relevant ITU-R recommendations.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies