RT-C/TEC-EDM/00615 Micro-Electronics Engineer
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. We have over 40 years’ experience in supporting the space sector: Since the creation of the European Space Agency (ESA), our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Micro-Electronics Engineer, based in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
The right candidate will focus on the following tasks:
• Providing technical support to ESA projects in the domain of Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) used in payloads and platforms of ESA missions of any ESA programme: Navigation, Science, Earth Observation, Telecommunications, Human Space Exploration or Technology. This technical support will involve:
- Supervision of the end-to-end development of new FPGAs throughout all the development phases: specification, architectural design, detailed design, place and route, programming and device tests
- Critical review of the technical documentation, design files, hardware test platforms and software used during the different phases of the FPGA developments.
- Providing technical feedback and advice to ESA and industry mission teams to help achieve successful and on-time/on-budget new FPGA developments and to solve problems related to already developed FPGAs.
• Leading and/or providing support to research internal (in ESTEC Microelectronics Laboratory) and/or external (with companies contracted by ESA) activities in the domain of FPGAs devices and their tool ecosystems for use in space environment.
In addition a diverse range of support tasks is required to be carried out.
These can be grouped within the following main headings:
• Technical and administrative management of the ESA SystemC and synthesizable VHDL IP Core pool of designs. This work will involve: optimisation, update and overall maintenance and of the ESA VHDL IP Cores databases, provision of technical support to ESA IP Cores users (performing analysis and finding solutions to problems in VHDL code, documentation or design methodology) holding a strong collaboration with our Contracts department in arranging and solving licences and patent issues. Advertising the ESA IP service (website, workshops, etc.), handling IP cores requests and their distribution.
• Validation of signal and image processing algorithms via simulation techniques (e.g. Matlab, prototyping SW)
• Definition, design and validation of payload data acquisition, processing and storage chains.
• Implementation of payload data processing functions on processors (e.g. Digital Signal Processors) and FPGAs based platforms.
• Specific engineering support in the above domains to mainstream ESA space projects, mainly for (but not restricted to) the development and testing phases.
Applicants should bring:
- University degree in Electronics Engineering orPhysics, specialized in Microelectronics
- Four or more years of experience in:
1.Design and test of digital FPGAs (specifications, block design, top level
integration, design for test, pre and post layout simulation and timing
analysis, gates synthesis, support during layout, prototype test and in
system validation), with proficiency in HDL (VHDL, Verilog and System-C).
2. VLSI IC Design CAD tools such as: Synopsys, CADENCE, Mentor, Mathlab and/or Simulink.
3. FPGA HW and SW of several vendors such as: Xilinx, Microchip (former
Microsemi, former ACTEL), NanoXplore, Altera and/or Atmel.
4. Preparation of FPGA test-benches, for functional validation and electrical characterization, using signal generators, oscilloscopes and signal analyzers.
5. Basic system administration in UNIX and Windows for IC Design CAD
Important additional assets would be:
• Experience with Microprocessors (e.g. LEON, ARM, RISC-V) and HW-SW co-design.
• Experience with mitigation of radiation effects and/or radiation tests of FPGAs and/or ASICs.
• Experience with digital ASIC design.
• Knowledge of the Space environment, its effects on microelectronics
devices and related technology, as well as ECSS quality standards applied to space VLSI ICs.
•Experience working with ASIC technology will be a valued extra asset (the work to be done, however, will be for FPGA and not ASICs).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries In Belgium and Luxembourg we work closely with the European Institutions providing crucial Services with over 220 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies