The Telecommunications and Integrated Applications Directorate supports innovation to boost the competitiveness of European industry in the global space market. This involves a wide range of activities from space-based technology, systems, product for telecommunications development up the down-to-earth application of space-based services. This requires engagement with a wide range of industrial, academic and institutional partners This post is in support of TIA Partnership projects. These are mainly co-funded projects with part of the project funded by industrial or institutional partners. The position holder will be supporting partnership projects on all activities related to project cost, schedule and risk, project management processes and administrative functions, as well as preparing the Directorate’s internal and external reporting. Seen the complexity of these Projects a Senior Project Controller is required. The post holder will be working in several projects simultaneously and the initial project to be supported is Novacom II. The Project control organisation in TIA will change and centralized in the Business Planning, Management support and Coordination Office, so in the short term the Org. Unit will change to TIA-M.
Specific Tasks :
• Supporting partnership projects on all activities related to project cost, schedule and risk, project management processes and administrative functions, and the Directorate’s internal and external reporting. This includes work breakdown structure, financial matters, scheduling, configuration, documentation, progress control, geographical return and general project administration;
• Supporting the preparation, procurement and monitoring of complex procurement actions, from tendering to closure of contract, and for management, financial and planning aspects.
• Supporting negotiations with industrial contractors, and supporting project managers in various programmatic aspects and provide the necessary elements for management decision-making.
• Through planning & control procedures and information systems, providing full visibility over progress on all activities, this includes maintenance in ESA’s ERP system of project-related data;
• Taking active part in the TIA project control community supporting improvement of Project Control procedures and computerised information and controlling systems;
• preparing, maintaining and reporting on cost-at-completion status, including annual cost plans and workforce planning, identifying potential problem areas and proposing remedial action;
• monitoring contracts, ensuring industry compliance with established formal requirements and support the closure of contracts.
• Preparing relevant period and ad-hoc reporting including KPIs.
• Supporting Project reviews
Support to the planning, preparation, execution and follow-up of projects / programmes activities in terms of schedule, related procurement actions, costs including preparation of CaC as relevant, manpower including support, etc. including:
- Assisting in preparing, developing and maintaining programme level plans.
- Assisting in the definition and in maintaining related work/procurement plans and related execution and contract actions plans using local tools as applicable.
- Monitoring of the implementation of the programmes and of activities, as appropriate, and preparation of related reports and provision of management information as required.
- Evaluating the results and main achievements of the programme, elaborating related KPIs, and preparing periodic overview publications.
In the field of resources (i.e. financial and manpower) for programme/project(s):
- Assisting in the preparation of long-term, medium term and in-year resource plans.
- Monitoring and controlling the implementation of the plans in line with resource targets, performing forecasting, identifying deviations and related recovery actions, producing related reports.
- Reviewing / checking of ESA internal expenditures such as re-charges, support services and purchases for consistency with Cost–at– Completion (CAC) of industrial contracts.
- Checking commitments for consistency with budgets and ESA’s procedures and consumption of commitment ceiling and initiating related budgetary transfers as required.
In the field of procurements and execution of contracts:oSupport to the preparation and follow-up of the Agency’s tender actions.
- Support to the proposal evaluations as expert for the price and schedule verification and analysis.oSupport to the preparation of the financial contract commitment and the data entry of the milestone payment plans in the Agency’s system(s).
- Contributing to the elaboration, consolidation of related procurement workplans and detailed implementation plans (e.g. Contract Action Plan baseline) and related commitment consumption, cost and disbursement profiles.
- Ensuring that above plans are properly inserted in the appropriate management tools.
- Following-up of the progress of the procurement actions and contracts, and keeping track of status and maintaining the current actual and forecasting in the appropriate ESA tools.
- Creating related objects in ESA-p, maintaining corresponding information in local applications as required and ensuring the correctness and coherence of related information.
- Monitoring and controlling of timely implementation of actions related to procurement and contractual matters, including monitoring of financial commitments, payment milestones and invoicing.
- Supporting industrial invoicing process and payment verification and control.
- Supporting programme inventory and export control activities, maintain relevant inventory databases
In the field of programme industrial return
- Initiation and coordination of the periodic updating of relevant Industrial Return data base to reflect the current commitments status and the industrial policy forecast for planned activities.
- Verification of coherence with ESA corporate Industrial Return data.
- Maintenance of list of specific compensation or improvement measures and follow-up the implementation.
- Verification of coherence of proposed procurement actions with the planned industrial return policy targets of the programme/project, including the compensation measures.
-Support to programme/project level risk management.
-Maintaining up to date the related data, performing data analysis, identifying deviations w.r.t. plans/targets and production of associated reports to the responsible management and to the concerned customers when relevant.
-Operation of the associated management information tools and system databases.
-Support to the responsible entity in the definition of new and improvement of existing processes and tools and production of related documents
-Support the execution of the directorate’s Risk Management process
- Masters in Engineering or equivalent or MBA or equivalent University degree from a recognised Institution of secondary studies or equivalent qualification in Business Administration, with relevant experience.
• Experience in the application of project management and project control principles and advanced project control techniques are essential
• The Directorate is transforming into a more digital environment. Strong IT skills is a distinct asset, including ESA tools such as ESA-P, EROS, WLMS, ESAPLAN, Excel and Tableau/Power-BI.
• To summarise complex information and having the ability to prepare reports, dashboards and KPIs .
• The position will be involved in several projects simultaneously, hence good planning, prioritisation and interpersonal skills are key soft skills.
• Knowledge and/or understanding of space systems architecture and engineering experience in a project or programme will be assets.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team. who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview
Serco European Agencies