Opto-Electronics Engineers (Noordwijk, Netherlands)
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. We have over 40 years’ experience in supporting the space sector: Since the creation of the European Space Agency (ESA), our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
We are proactively looking for an Opto-Electronics Engineer, based in ESTEC, Noordwijk (Netherlands).
The right candidate will support activities in an Opto-Electronics Laboratory by supporting the following tasks:
- Support the Laser Induced damage test bed. Run, maintain and improve setup and procedures
- Characterisation of laser-induced contamination and laser-induced damage on optics as a result of the interaction from high-power lasers in vacuum nearby outgassing materials
- Interpretation of test results from materials and surface analysis. In particular GCMS, ToFSIMS, atomic force microscopy, and white light interferometry
- Planning, setting-up and execution of experiments and measurements of optical and optoelectronics systems, devices and components
- Reporting of results
- Interface with ESA projects (such as ADM Aeolus, Earth Care) on testing requirements and supporting industry on such testing is an advantage.
More generally, the task may entail day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Opto-Electronics Laboratory Unit comprising:
- General maintenance and servicing of optical, electro-optical and electronics measurement equipment and instrumentation in order to assure that the relevant equipment is in an operational state;
- Procurement of laboratory materials, and consumables and budget management;
- Contribution to the identification, selection and specification of new equipment;
- Installation and maintenance of computer software and hardware for measurement data acquisition and analysis (e.g. Labview);
- Stock and equipment inventory tracking;
- Logging of all laboratory activities;
- Operation of the laser-damage and laser-induced contamination test benches
- Implementation of safety rules
Applicants require :
- Degree in Opto-Electronics, Optics, Physics, or Physical Chemistry together;
- Minimum of 2 years postgraduate laboratory experience in the design, development and verification of opto-electronic systems. In particular high power laser systems, together with a good knowledge of associated data collection and data evaluation software tools (e.g. LabView);
- Experience of vacuum systems, optical systems, laser beam characterization, and image processing (e.g. Matlab) required.
- Experience from photochemistry and surface science and interpretation of mass spectra would be a distinct advantage;
- Knowledge of optical coating technology, optical coating processes and laser damage of optics a benefit;
- Good technical judgment and solid communications skills (verbal and in writing) are necessary.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries In Belgium and Luxembourg we work closely with the European Institutions providing crucial Services with over 220 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies