Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organizations with skilled talent.
Dedicated to the European Space Agency’s Earth-observing activities, ESA-ESRIN is the European centre of excellence for exploitation of Earth observation missions. The mission and payload operations of ESA's Earth observation satellites are managed here, and ESRIN is the primary source for the acquisition, distribution, and exploitation of data from these and other non-ESA satellites.
On behalf of our team in Italy we are looking for two Operations Engineer who will work on a full time, permanent contract with a hybrid working style from Frascati, Italy.
As an Operations Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Monitoring and operating ESA Earth Explorers Live Missions, ESA Heritage Missions, and ESA Third Party Missions in real-time from end to end.
- Investigating and identifying the root causes of operational issues.
- Vigilantly observing and analyzing performance results and systems functioning to identify areas for improvement and optimize processes.
- Developing corrective actions to resolve operational issues.
- Supporting the startup and integration of new operations projects.
- Creating scripts to automate standard tasks.
- Managing system and application incidents to quickly restore services.
- Locating and addressing the underlying root causes of system and application problems to prevent incidents from recurring.
- Managing software change and release, integration and validation activities, software installation and operational Establishing, documenting, and maintaining operational procedures.
- Collecting, analyzing, and summarizing engineering and operating trends and data.
- Generating ideas to innovate managed applications and contributing to their continuous evolution.
- Regularly interacting with technical, applications, and third-party suppliers to ensure system integrity and security.
- Supporting technical notes editing.
- Generating and maintaining operational procedures and work instructions.
- Executing regular application maintenance activities.
- Proficient in Linux (especially Red Hat), but not limited to.
- Proficient in Linux shell scripting.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and XML.
- Basic knowledge of Apache, Tomcat.
- Basic knowledge of Python programming.
- Basic knowledge of OpenLDAP.
- Basic knowledge of DB technologies, including MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL, ElasticSearch.
- Basic understanding of Networking concepts.
- Experience in Requirements Definition and Analysis, Project Planning, and Reporting.
- Familiarity with Docker and Kubernetes technologies.
- Familiarity with Storage and Cloud technologies.
- Good English Technical Writing skills.
- Knowledge of Satellite products standards is an asset.
- Knowledge of Grafana/Kibana technology is an asset.
- Fluent in English Language, both written and spoken (>=B2).
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to meet schedules and milestones.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Proactive problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to work collaboratively and share knowledge.
- Willingness to travel abroad for short-term periods.
- Experience in the ESA environment is an asset
- ITIL Foundation Certification (V4)
- English Certification (≥ B2
Joining Serco Italy’s amazing team offers:
- Competitive Salary
- Great career opportunities in the Space industry
- Corporate Benefits Package
- International environment
- Possible hybrid work
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For more information on how the personal data in your application is process, please see the link Data Protection policy here.
Serco European Agencies