Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technician
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technician in Darmstadt.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), Darmstadt, Germany, tracks and controls European spacecraft, and develops and manages ground systems. As Europe’s centre of excellence for satellite operations, ESOC is home to the engineering teams that control spacecraft in orbit and build the systems on the ground that support missions in space.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
The NOC Technician will be part of an integrated team which provides 24/7 monitoring and control of Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) stations of the ESTRACK ground station network, Operational IT and Operational Control Centre services at ESA's European Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt, Germany.
The team, located in the ESOC Network Operations Centre, provides support using a variety of computer and network hardware and software.
The NOC acts as the first point of contact for users, missions/projects and second line support teams.
As Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technician you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- Liaise with spacecraft and mission operations engineers as well as staff on duty at other support units, ground stations and external Agencies to establish and continuously maintain a comprehensive overview on the availability of and the demand for utilization of resources provided by the ground segment facilities.
- Supervise and coordinate scheduled support activities.
- Monitor the progress of station configurations for satellite passes through voice coordination or remote monitoring systems.
- Schedule Ground Stations and OCC facilities in real-time (outside normal working hours).
- Configure and monitor station configurations for satellite passes as well as data transmissions and performance.
- Respond immediately to any anomaly affecting operations; relevant procedures shall be initiated and 1st line maintenance activities executed as required in order to restore operations. Document and track anomalies, call out 2nd/3rd party support/escalate and follow-up on incident resolution.
- Reporting and documentation.
- Act as first line of contact for users of critical systems.
- Provide 1st line computer and network support to all eligible users – including incident, problem, change request and user request/complaints handling.
- Actively monitor all operational IT systems, applications and networks and react immediately on potential issues or outages by:
- Logging and escalating incident tickets according to procedure;
- Identify the impacted services/users and inform all relevant parties;
- Initiate incident resolution or mitigating actions to restore the service asap;
- Call out/escalate to 2nd line support or external providers according to procedure;
- Follow-up on incident resolution/progress and inform interested parties of the status;
- Prioritise work according to criticality of systems, schedules and targets.
- Operation, fault finding and repair on the network and on active network components (CISCO) using Ethernet and TCP/IP protocols and by logging on/commanding active network components.
- In line with procedures perform contingency and scheduled re-configurations, hardware and software maintenance, test and remedial activity, so as to minimise resource impact.
- Perform various housekeeping/administrative duties.
- Work to predefined schedules and service levels, actively participate in recommending technical and procedural improvements to benefit the service.
- Provide round the clock cover in a rotating shift pattern, with adequate information handover between shifts.
- Maintain a log of all relevant activities and events.
- Attend user meetings, briefings, user groups and workshops as required.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- A very good understanding of Local and Wide Area Network (Intranet, Internet) communications;
- Decisiveness and accountability;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written);
- A good understanding of IT networking: WAN/LAN concepts, technology and troubleshooting;
- Strong service ethic - responsive and courteous when handling user calls;
- Problem Solving aptitude;
- PC literacy: MS Office Products;
- Familiarity with operational environments;
- Team-player skills, ability to interface with technical and management personnel.
Note: This is a 24/7 position - candidates must be able to work rotating shifts.
The following would be seen as an asset:
- Previous experience with remote operations of a network of unmanned satellite ground stations or with local operations and maintenance of a manned satellite ground station;
- Sound understanding of ESTRACK ground stations functionality, configurations requirements, and operations constraints;
- Interest in and ability to coach / train other staff;
- Some knowledge of VMS, Unix, Console Works, NetBackup, CD-ROM production, CiscoWorks, HP-OV, CISCO Firewalls, QIP, MS Windows operating systems, ITSM tools;
- A good understanding of IT security concepts, technology and best practices;
- Knowledge of ITIL , certification a plus;
- Knowledge of, or proven ability of linear fault-finding, diagnosis and resolution methodology.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work. We are a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Serco is responsible for the Network Operations Centre (NOC) services at the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC).The Network Operations Centre provides the 24h/7 remote operations services of the ESTRACK ground station network. As part of this service, Serco provides the first line Operations Control Centre (OCC) maintenance and operations services at ESOC.
We manage the Operational Computer and Communications Infrastructure and ESTRACK ground stations for the European Space Agency at European Space Operations Centre (ESOC). This infrastructure supports operational and support systems including Ground stations, Mission Control, Flight Dynamics, Simulators, Mission analysis, general support, Firewalls, Network and systems management facilities and Operational communications network for data and voice services
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For more information on how the personal data in your application is process, please see the link Data Protection policy here.
Serco European Agencies