Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technician
Serco Services GmbH part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for two Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technicians based at ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany.
For our activities in the European Space Agency, we are currently seeking to employ a highly motivated and enthusiastic Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technician to work in an exciting innovative international environment.
The NOC Technician will be part of an integrated team which provides 24/7 monitoring and control of Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) stations of the ESTRACK ground station network, Operational IT and Operational Control Centre services at ESA's European Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt, Germany.
The team, located in the ESOC Network Operations Centre, provides support using a variety of computer and network hardware and software.
The NOC acts as the first point of contact for users, missions/projects and second line support teams.
Your main tasks and responsibilities as NOC Technician will include:
- Liaise with spacecraft and mission operations engineers as well as staff on duty at other support units, ground stations and external Agencies to establish and continuously maintain a comprehensive overview on the availability of and the demand for utilization of resources provided by the ground segment facilities.
- Supervise and coordinate scheduled support activities.
- Monitor the progress of station configurations for satellite passes through voice coordination or remote monitoring systems.
- Schedule Ground Stations and OCC facilities in real-time (outside normal working hours).
- Configure and monitor station configurations for satellite passes as well as data transmissions and performance.
- Respond immediately to any anomaly affecting operations; relevant procedures shall be initiated and 1st line maintenance activities executed as required in order to restore operations. Document and track anomalies, call out 2nd/3rd party support/escalate and follow-up on incident resolution.
- Reporting and documentation.
- Act as first line of contact for users of critical systems.
- Provide 1st line computer and network support to all eligible users – including incident, problem, change request and user request/complaints handling.
- Actively monitor all operational IT systems, applications and networks and react immediately on potential issues or outages by:
- Logging and escalating incident tickets according to procedure;
- Identify the impacted services/users and inform all relevant parties;
- Initiate incident resolution or mitigating actions to restore the service asap;
- Call out/escalate to 2nd line support or external providers according to procedure;
- Follow-up on incident resolution/progress and inform interested parties of the status;
- Prioritise work according to criticality of systems, schedules and targets.
- Operation, fault finding and repair on the network and on active network components (CISCO) using Ethernet and TCP/IP protocols and by logging on/commanding active network components.
- In line with procedures perform contingency and scheduled re-configurations, hardware and software maintenance, test and remedial activity, so as to minimise resource impact.
- Perform various housekeeping/administrative duties.
- Work to predefined schedules and service levels, actively participate in recommending technical and procedural improvements to benefit the service.
- Provide round the clock cover in a rotating shift pattern, with adequate information handover between shifts.
- Maintain a log of all relevant activities and events.
- Attend user meetings, briefings, user groups and workshops as required.
The successful candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
- A very good understanding of Local and Wide Area Network (Intranet, Internet) communications;
- Decisiveness and accountability;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written);
- A good understanding of IT networking: WAN/LAN concepts, technology and troubleshooting;
- Strong service ethic - responsive and courteous when handling user calls;
- Problem Solving aptitude;
- PC literacy: MS Office Products;
- Familiarity with operational environments;
- Team-player skills, ability to interface with technical and management personnel.
Note: This is a 24/7 position - candidates must be able to work rotating shifts.
The following would be seen as an asset:
- Previous experience with remote operations of a network of unmanned satellite ground stations or with local operations and maintenance of a manned satellite ground station;
- Sound understanding of ESTRACK ground stations functionality, configurations requirements, and operations constraints;
- Interest in and ability to coach / train other staff;
- Some knowledge of VMS, Unix, Console Works, NetBackup, CD-ROM production, CiscoWorks, HP-OV, CISCO Firewalls, QIP, MS Windows operating systems, ITSM tools;
- A good understanding of IT security:concepts, technology and best practices;
- Knowledge of ITIL , certification a plus;
- Knowledge of, or proven ability of linear fault-finding, diagnosis and resolution methodology.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies