Mission Performance & Processor Engineer (ESA-ESTEC)
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Mission Performance Chain Engineer in Noordwijk.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :)
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
Women in Aerospace Europe (WIA-E) – Supporting women in STEM (wia-europe.org)
As Mission Performance Chain Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- The technical definition, the procurement and the verification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software chain including in particular the Instrument Simulator and the Level 1 Processor Prototype.
- The definition and execution or supervision of activities within and outside ESA to ensure the E2E mission performance, in particular at Level-1. To do this he/she will contribute to the activities of the other staff and contractors, interfacing with internal (e.g. Instrument Engineer, GS Engineer) and external (e.g. Industry, Mission Scientist, Level 2 team) actors as needed.
- Contribute to the overall specification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain (from Scene Generation up to Level-2).
- Monitoring the development of the Instrument Simulator Software developed through an ESA contract with industry.
- Monitoring the development of the Level 1 Prototype Processor Software developed through an ESA contract with industry.
- Monitoring the development and the integration of the overall E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components, developed through an ESA contract with industry.
- Reviewing the Level-1 and Instrument Simulator algorithms and input/output interfaces.
- Perform the integration of E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain developed by industry with the L2 scientific components developed by
- Ensuring that the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components and algorithms meet the required functionality and performance, taking into account system, instrument, geophysical model and calibration/validation facility aspects.
- Installing, maintaining and operating an up-to-date copy of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software at ESTEC.
- Analyzing impacts on the mission performance resulting from deviations during the development programme.
- Ensuring the proper verification and validation methods are proposed and implemented.
- Supporting Test Data production and verification.
- Supporting the analysis of the data collected during on-ground and in-orbit calibration and characterization campaigns.
- Developing any needed software tool to support all the mentioned activities.
- Providing necessary inputs for the relevant internal and external meetings.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Computer science, Physics or Engineering.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience.
- Very good knowledge of computer environments and software development (Linux, compilers, debuggers, scripting such as python, shell scripts, perl…).
- Knowledge of the Earth Observation (payload data) ground segment, including; processes such as calibration, monitoring routine data processing; processors and facilities; interactions with other stakeholders (FOS, end users).
- Knowledge of data analysis/processing (statistics, error budgets; simulations; data tools).
- Working knowledge on remote sensing techniques.
- Good level of autonomy and organizing skills.
- Comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed, together with a high degree organizational and communication abilities.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies