Metop Spacecraft Operations Engineer
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Metop Spacecraft Operations Engineer in Darmstadt.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :) Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
Women in Aerospace Europe (WIA-E) – Supporting women in STEM (wia-europe.org)
The purpose of this role is to provide engineering support in the area of LEO Spacecraft Operations Engineering at EUMETSAT. You will be responsible for for performing Satellite System level operations, including, operations preparations and reporting, with coordination with other operations teams as appropriate.
As Metop Spacecraft Operations Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- Develop and Maintain the operational baseline as needed in reaction to anomalies, to allow execution of new operations, to improve the efficiency and accuracy of operations or in anticipation of Ground Segment evolutions;
- Plan, Develop and Validate any operations as necessary, such as End of Life Deorbiting, recoveries from novel anomalies etc.;
- Perform Routine Monitoring & Trend Analysis via CHART to identify and report any worsening trends. Critically assess reports to identify any risks to the mission;
- Develop and Maintain CHART Algorithms, Report Templates and any necessary inputs to optimise monitoring and reporting;
- Routinely check Space Weather Service inputs for potential operational risks;
- Report on Status of respective Spacecraft Subsystem at bi-weekly meetings, or sooner if required;
- Investigate any relevant anomalies and follow-up closure of actions;
- Contribute to any anomaly recoveries as required to ensure equipment health and safety and restore services;
- Prepare Annual Performance Reports for the respective Spacecraft Subsystem;
- Prepare and present viewgraphs to cover Mid-term reviews and salient points during Annual Performance Reviews;
- Provision of on-call support, recovering from recurrent anomalies and gathering data / upward reporting for novel anomalies;
- Contributing to the weekly planning and daily reporting processes during periods of on-call;
- Contributing to Anomaly Review Boards in the recovery from novel anomalies, particularly providing analysis and inputs required to identify the root cause as well as planning and executing recovery operations;
- Developing and Validating OBSW Maintenance Operations based on delivered Memory Images;
- Preparing and Presenting Trending Reports, both on site and at premises of partner agencies or Instrument/Subsystem Suppliers;
- Providing inputs to routine planning meetings;
- Contributing periodic and emergency BUCC/RMCC activations;
- Maintain Satellite Simulator Breakpoints and Models;
- Contribute to any Simulations Campaigns as necessary by operating Satellite Simulator;
- Participate in and contribute to the planning and execution of operations rehearsals;
- Contribute to the training of members of the Service Team and Controllers.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline;
- Experience of Spacecraft Operations with responsibility for one or more platform subsystems or instruments during any In-Orbit operations phases;
- Experience of Spacecraft Operations Preparation, with responsibility on development and validation of operational baseline (procedures, database etc.) including validation tools (e.g. S/C simulator) and ground segment M&C facilities;
- Experience in satellite performance monitoring and reporting aspects including anomaly analysis and solving in liaison with satellite industry, procedure change control and configuration management processes;
- Experience in the operation or development of satellite ground segment facilities, in particular procedure development, monitor and control, mission planning, on-board software management, performance analysis, configuration management and simulator facilities;
- In depth knowledge of relevant Standards and Protocols (CCSDS and ECSS) SCOS or EPOCH Control Systems;
- Tailoring of Spacecraft Databases for Routine Operations;
- Specification of Space and Ground system and operational concepts, specifically the use of ECSS PUS;
- Familiarity with system change control and configuration management procedures;
- Programming/Scripting skills with languages such as Python, Java, MATLAB, VBA, Perl, etc.;
- Strong data analysis, processing and synthesis skills;
- Ability to recognise opportunities for improvements in areas of work and implement appropriate solutions;
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies