Meteorology and Calibration Engineer
We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Meteorology and Calibration Engineer in Noordwijk.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :)
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
As Meteorology and Calibration Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
Support to the engineering and laboratory activities of the Optics Laboratory:
- Optical system requirements specification, design, engineering, manufacturing and verification.
- Optical component technology, including micro-optics, fibre and passive integrated optics.
- Optical communications.
- Imaging lidars, laser metrology and ranging.
- Interferometry and optical aperture synthesis.
- Spectro-radiometric imaging instruments operating in the visible and infrared.
- General maintenance and servicing of optical, electro optical and electronics measurement equipment and instrumentation in order to assure that the relevant equipment is in an operational state.
- General operation and maintenance of the Optics Laboratory cleanroom.
- Procurement of laboratory materials, optical elements and components, chemicals and consumables.
- Contribution to the identification, selection and specification of new (capital) equipment, and execution of the annual laboratory investment plan.
- Installation and maintenance of computer software and hardware for measurement, data acquisition and analysis.
- Stock and equipment inventory tracking.
- Logging of all laboratory activities.
- Implementation of applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Maintenance of the procedures accredited under the ISO 17025 Quality Management System, development of new procedures and participation in the annual audits process (both internal and external).
- Planning, setting-up and execution of experiments and measurements of optical and Optoelectronics systems, devices and components.
- Provision of expert advice on optical test and verification methods, use of optical materials, optical design and optical system performance analysis (including Straylight) issues in support of ESA projects and technology R&D activities with industry and academic or research institutes.
- Analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of optical measurement data and results and provision of formal written reports to the laboratory customers
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Project and/or industrial experience in the design, engineering and testing and verification of various types of optical instrumentation.
- Solid experience in precision optical measurements at system, sub-assembly and component level.
- Good technical judgement, analytical and excellent verbal and written communication skills, in the English language.
- Experience in space project work, and of operations in a cleanroom environment.
- Knowledge and or experience in the use and application of the ISO 9000 series or ISO 17025 standards for quality management of test laboratories
- Support the daily activities of the Metrology Laboratory;
- Provide metrology support to the ESTEC Test Centre customers, the ESA projects and the ESTEC laboratories
- Provide metrology support for investment and maintenance activities of the ESTEC Test Centre;
- Assuring proper maintenance of laboratory instrumentation;
- Assuring a proper presentation of the Metrology Laboratory activities and plans to the Head of the Engineering Services Section
- PhD or Master in Physics or Optical Engineering
- Project and/or industrial experience in the design, engineering and testing of various types of optical instrumentation.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies