Long-Term Archive Software Engineer
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Long-Term Archive Software Engineer based at EUMETSAT, Darmstadt, Germany.
The successful candidate should concentrate his/her activities on the following tasks:
- Requirement management, design, implementation, verification/ validation and maintenance of EUMETSAT Long Term archive software and documentation, and related commercial off the shelf software (COTS), throughout the entire software life cycle;
- Investigation of anomalies, their documentation, classification and, the development and delivery of S/W correction, including the execution of relevant regression testing;
- 2nd line support for the EUMETSAT Long Term Archive and the related communication and interaction with other teams at EUMETSAT;
- Software configuration management, release preparation and deployment of software corrections.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the following mandatory areas:
- Software Engineering with extensive experience in designing and developing software components and applications in the Java and C++/C programming language under Unix/Linux using Object Oriented (OO) approach;
- Software development, verification/validation and maintenance, using a formal life cycle;
- Knowledge of long term archive system architectures and functions;
- Provision of first and 2nd line maintenance support for operational systems;
- Relational Databases (JDBC and SQL);
- XML, XML Schema and XSLT technologies.
Practical knowledge of as many as possible of the following will be an advantage:
- Usage of Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) systems (SAM-FS or equivalent);
- The Open Archival Information System (OAIS) model and concepts;
- Operations, maintenance and configuration of long term archive software and systems in a 24/7 operational environment;
- Geographic Information Systems (e.g. QGIS);
- Tomcat Application server development;
- Spatial Solutions (Oracle Locator, Postgres/Postgis);
- Unit Testing e.g. JUnit;
- Groovy scripting;
- Software Building and Package management.
- UNIX system knowledge;
- GIT software version control.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies