Linux System Administrator - Bash/Script (EU Commission)
At Serco, we strive to promote and enable the diversity, development, wellbeing and safety of our people. We understand that healthier, happier employees go hand-in-hand with strong business performance, enhanced productivity and better outcomes for those we serve. We want everybody who works for Serco to have a positive experience and access to opportunities to develop in their chosen careers.
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) is the European Commission's science and knowledge service which employs scientists to carry out research in order to provide independent scientific advice and support to EU policy. As subcontractor, Serco Italia S.p.A. is currently looking for a Linux System Administrator - Bash/Script to join our great team in Ispra (VA)!
Does working in a Serco environment sound appealing to you?
We would love to hear from you and your interest in this new job opportunity!
Does this vacancy not suit your profile? Not to worry, you can send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org – a member of our Recruitment Team will come back to you shortly after.
Are you looking to secure a career in a public sector environment? We would love to hear from you!
As the science and knowledge service of the Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle.
The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain).
Further information is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/Unit I03 – Text and Data Mining, Directorate
The Unit also provides:
(i) guidance on the use of statistical data mining methods as well as text mining and analysis techniques for information extraction;
(ii) one-stop-shop for tools, services and training for the EU institutions and strategic partners to support their needs in the fields of open sources intelligence, media monitoring, information harvesting and analysis as well as innovation monitoring, statistical data mining and visualisation;
(iii) set-up of Competence Centres in these areas as appropriate.
The Big Data Analytics Platform project (BDAP) is managing a central platform for data storage, management, processing, analysis, visualization, and dissemination at JRC level. A major source of data stored and processed in the BDAP are data collections from the Copernicus programme. Based on user requirements the Big Data Platform has been designed and implemented. The scope of this contract is the management and further extension of core components of the platform.
You will be expected to contribute to all the tasks listed below:
- You shall manage in collaboration with team members core components of the infrastructure, covering hardware installation and configuration, service set-up and maintenance, using where possible scripted and automated procedures.
- You shall support the project team in improving the security of existing and newly set up services of the platform.
- You shall document the routines and scripts, configurations, and results in the project wiki and code repositories. On-line documentation for end-users and developers shall be generated using documentation generator tools.
In return, we offer a friendly, supportive and professional environment that respects your work/life balance and ultimately contributes to the delivery of public services in Italy and around the world.
- Sound experience in Linux environments, their deployment and administration, including bash/shell scripting and system monitoring.
- Good knowledge of Windows.
- Knowledge of Linux network configuration and security.
- Knowledge of PHP and Python programming language would be an asset.
- Knowledge of MySQL is a plus.
- Autonomous and accurate working style.
- Good working knowledge in English.
- Capability of integration in a multicultural/international environment, rapid self-starting capability and experience in working in a team.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Joining Serco Italy’s amazing team offers:
- Competitive Salary
- Great career opportunities in the Space industry
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
- Company events
- International environment
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies