Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The tasks include support to the operation of the Linux-based ground segment facilities and the analysis, design, development, testing and maintenance of distributed hardware and system software platforms. This includes the setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures, the support to the procurement of hardware and software, and the coordination with external providers of maintenance services.
The candidate shall perform the following tasks:
- Installation and configuration of operating system and other software, tuning of operating systems parameters to optimize performance;
- Analysis, planning and performance of H/W and S/W upgrades or reconfigurations, taking care of compatibility issues between subsystems;
- Monitoring of the system performance, investigation into H/W and system S/W problems and performance of the relevant corrective actions;
- Ensuring that in case of H/W or system S/W failures the operational configuration can be restored, including the definition, maintenance, performance of backup procedures;
- Liaison with the external providers of H/W and system S/W maintenance for the request and follow up of maintenance interventions;
- Administration of user accounts;
- Support to S/W development and maintenance in relation to the utilization of system resources;
- Implementation and maintenance of scripts and/or procedures where applicable for the automated and/or controlled execution of the above activities, generation or update of technical documentation in relation to system upgrades;
- Provision of stand-by/on-call support;
- Provision of support, as required, to critical operations.
As an essential part of the tasks above, the candidate is expected to generate and maintain documentation. This may comprise writing and reviewing requirement and design specifications, change proposals, preparing documents supporting procurements, reviewing data packages belonging to technical inspections and reviews, writing and reviewing IT architecture and design, writing design evaluation reports, writing/reviewing reports, test reports and overall status reports.
In the performance of the activities, the candidate shall apply besides the relevant configuration and change control procedures, the relevant system engineering standards as well as quality and maintenance procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the candidate shall have at least 5 years’ experience of assessing and administrating computer systems and a very extensive experience in IT system design. The experience shall have been acquired in an operational or production environment, driven by high availability requirements.
Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- At least 5 years’ experience in the administration and troubleshooting of distributed systems;
- Expert knowledge and a significant work experience of Linux operating systems (RedHat and SLES);
- Very good IT system design skills;
- Good experience in VMware virtualization;
- Good knowledge and experience in security (principles/concepts, hardening techniques,secure architecture and protocols, penetration and vulnerability testing, tools...);
- Good understanding of incident and problem management;
- Technical documentation skills;
- Experience in an operational or production environment, characterized by custom applications in addition to standard software, running both on the client and server side, and by high availability requirements.
- The candidate should be familiar, to the extent required by the performance of the above tasks, with as many as possible of the following skills and system software environments:
- TCPIIP and related network protocols and applications, e.g. NIS, LDAP, NFS, DNS, SNMP, FTP, NTP, etc.;
- High Availability software like RedHat HA Add-On, Veritas Cluster or any other.
Experience in the installation, administration and troubleshooting on some of the following shall be considered as an advantage:
- Dell I HP computers running Linux;
- UNIX (Solaris, AIX) and MS Windows System Administration
- RAID arrays (EMC);
- SAN Fabrics (Brocade);
- Backup and recovery systems.
It shall also be considered as an advantage if the candidate can carry out basic hardware support such as installing interface cards or physically setting up networks.
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate with the team and with internal customers.
The candidate should be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, should be able to work calmly and correctly under stress and must be able to work without supervision.
The working language for the position is English and therefore the key person must be able to work effectively in this language.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization. .
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
Duration of mission: 9 months
Start date: As soon as possible
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you.
Serco European Agencies