Junior Datacentre Operator
Do you have experience in working in operation of computer systems, preferably in an operational or real-time environment running under both Windows and UNIX operating systems and have worked with with ticketing systems? You could be our new Junior Datacentre Operator. Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
A number of services are required to support the stable Operation of the Data Centre. They include the monitoring and operating of the Data Centre systems to ensure EUMETSAT’s data and products are stored into its Archive, the meteorological product reprocessing and the routine generation of CDRs, as well as the successful end to end processing of user orders for archived data.
Unexpected events that should occur during processing are required to be promptly recorded in an anomaly tracking system to request engineering support in their analysis and resolution. In addition to this, user enquiries received by the User Helpdesk related to Data Centre services need to be dealt with.
You are needed to perform the following activities related to the routine monitoring and operating of the EUMETSAT Data Centre systems:
- Monitoring and controlling the Archive Ingestion and Ordering Systems, and reaction to service disruptions and anomalies in accordance with established procedures;
- Interfacing with 1st and 2nd level support to ensure anomalies are resolved;
- Ensuring optimum exploitation of the functions of the archive and identifying any functional deficiencies based on operational experiences;
- Providing front-line help to users ordering data and providing product ordering information such as formats available and order delivery methods;
- Fulfilling / recording customer interactions including:
- Conducting all communication with customers via the User Helpdesk in accordance with the relevant service level agreements;
- Assigning ordering privileges such as product types access to new users;
- Ensuring all customer enquiries / orders are processed;
- Conducting ordering on behalf of special users or use cases, e.g. Satellite Image Viewer
- Efficiently managing orders received via the online ordering system by ensuring they are processed promptly;
- Maintaining the physical archive; insertion of pre-mounted media or requested media, and removal of media with no more storage capacity;
- Handling Data Centre Archive media and ensuring they are securely delivered and retrieved to/from offsite storage;
- Stock keeping of consumables;
- Packaging and dispatching of media orders to the end user;
- Creating and producing movies of satellite imagery for outreach and training purposes;
- Creating and producing posters and prints for internal and external customers;
- Generate documents and documentation updates to support routine operational activities, including the recording of working practices, raising and maintaining Anomaly Reports and Trouble Tickets;
- Preparing and generating routine reports on a regular basis covering all aspects of Data Centre routine operations;
- Reporting Data Centre activities in EUMETSAT operational briefings.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- working in operation of computer systems, preferably in an operational or real-time environment running under both Windows and UNIX operating systems;
- working with ticketing systems;
- working within a team;
- using MS Office, including familiarity with the use of MS Word, MS Excel spreadsheets and MS Outlook;
- fluency in both spoken and written English
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies