Junior Data Centre Operator
Serco Services GmbH part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Data Centre Operator based at EUMETSAT.
A number of services are required to support the stable Operation of the Data Centre. They include the monitoring and operating of the Data Centre systems to ensure EUMETSAT’s data and products are stored into its Archive, the meteorological product reprocessing and the routine generation of CDRs, as well as the successful end to end processing of user orders for archived data. Unexpected events that should occur during processing are required to be promptly recorded in an anomaly tracking system to request engineering support in their analysis and resolution. In addition to this, user enquiries received by the User Helpdesk related to Data Centre services need to be dealt with.
You are needed to perform the following activities related to the routine monitoring and operating of the EUMETSAT Data Centre systems:
- Monitoring and controlling the Archive Ingestion and Ordering Systems, and reaction to service disruptions and anomalies in accordance with established procedures;
- Interfacing with 1st and 2nd level support to ensure anomalies are resolved;
- Ensuring optimum exploitation of the functions of the archive and identifying any functional deficiencies based on operational experiences;
- Providing front-line help to users ordering data and providing product ordering information such as formats available and order delivery methods;
- Fulfilling / recording customer interactions including:
- Conducting all communication with customers via the User Helpdesk in accordance with the relevant service level agreements;
- Assigning ordering privileges such as product types access to new users;
- Ensuring all customer enquiries / orders are processed;
- Conducting ordering on behalf of special users or use cases, e.g. Satellite Image Viewer
- Efficiently managing orders received via the online ordering system by ensuring they are processed promptly;
- Maintaining the physical archive; insertion of pre-mounted media or requested media, and removal of media with no more storage capacity;
- Handling Data Centre Archive media and ensuring they are securely delivered and retrieved to/from offsite storage;
- Stock keeping of consumables;
- Packaging and dispatching of media orders to the end user;
- Creating and producing movies of satellite imagery for outreach and training purposes;
- Creating and producing posters and prints for internal and external customers;
- Generate documents and documentation updates to support routine operational activities, including the recording of working practices, raising and maintaining Anomaly Reports and Trouble Tickets;
- Preparing and generating routine reports on a regular basis covering all aspects of Data Centre routine operations;
- Reporting Data Centre activities in EUMETSAT operational briefings.
We're looking for someone that has:
- Experience in the operation of computer systems, preferably in an operational or real-time environment running under both Windows and UNIX operating systems;
- Experience in working within a team
- Proven experience in using MS Office, including familiarity with the use of MS Word, MS Excel spreadsheets and MS Outlook
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary;
Corporate Benefits Package;
Relocation Assistance (if applicable);
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team.
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies