IT Support Technician
Serco Services GmbH part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an IT Support Technician based at ESOC.
For our activities at the European Space Operations Centre, we are currently seeking to employ a highly motivated and enthusiastic IT Support Technician to work in an exciting innovative international environment.
The role will be part of a newly established Network Operations Centre (NOC) tasked with coordinating, configuring and monitoring activities related to the ESA ground segment, specifically the Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) stations of the ESTRACK ground station network.
The NOC is responsible for providing 1st and 2nd line support to the ESA space missions and its users.
It provides Ground Operations, Operational IT and Operational Control Centre services and acts as single point of contact for real-time service requests from ESTRACK customers.
The Operational Control Centre team looks after the operational IT hardware, the local data centres and wiring centres as well as the operational control rooms on site.
The main tasks of the IT Support Technician are:
- Hardware installations;
- Hardware maintenance and support;
- Electrical safety testing;
- Cable installation, testing and patching;
- Spare part management;
- Shipping and handling of equipment deliveries;
- Configuration management;
- Preventive maintenance;
- Control room refurbishment;
- Incident handling;
- Administration of UNIX (SLES/Windows) systems;
- Administration/configuration of various applications;
- Support of LEOP (launch and early orbit) activities (including occasional shift work);
- Support of refurbishment projects/engineering activities.
Successful applicants need to have a solid background in IT/operational support.
We are looking for a generalist with well-rounded experience in operational IT environments and a passion for technology.
Flexibility and the willingness to learn and to work on continually improving the service is a must.
You will possess the following qualities:
- Excellent knowledge of common data centre infrastructures, including wiring concepts, cooling and power distribution;
- Excellent knowledge of common IT hardware (server, racks, network devices) and wiring technologies;
- Excellent experience in trouble shooting and fault analysis;
- Fluent in English, both in speech and writing;
- Good understanding of common network concepts, components and protocols;
- Good knowledge of basic system administration on UNIX and Windows platforms;
- Self-starter, able to work independently with little or no supervision;
- Team-player, able to interface with technical and management personnel;
- Well-organised, able to prioritise and manage several tasks in parallel;
- Able to work on shifts occasionally;
- Solid IT knowledge, including common hardware, networking concepts and common tools and software applications;
- Service mentality and solid understanding of a KPI driven service environment;
- PC literacy: MS Office Products, Lotus Notes.
- DGUV certification (electrical safety testing) a plus.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies